How to revise Watch

Eleanor.may27
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’m going into year 11 next year and have all my year 10 mocks and I’m really scared. I’ve tried revision techniques like mindmaps and answering past exam questions but they don’t seem to help that much. What am I doing wrong? What techniques do u all find the most effective?
PetitePanda
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Flash cards but only doodles and little writing on them I guess
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
okkkorniienko
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
That's the smallest problem.
U just have to do what u like to do.
That's the best way.
Emily Miller
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
REVISE NOW!!! So you won’t be sleep deprived during GCSEs because it sucks and don’t cram the night before I learnt the hard way😨
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Batman2k1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Eleanor.may27)
I’m going into year 11 next year and have all my year 10 mocks and I’m really scared. I’ve tried revision techniques like mindmaps and answering past exam questions but they don’t seem to help that much. What am I doing wrong? What techniques do u all find the most effective?
haha why are you scared? GCSE'S are not the major thing, a levels are, but alll are important, i'm not saying that.

Dude past papers questions if u find that it don't work try something untill it works for you.
Personally, i followed other revision tips like flashcards, but then it never worked for me. It only worked that i stop trying to make revision work,
instead, be free and creative and ironically flashcards did work for me on computer and past papers.
Search Ali abdaal on youtube active recall.
Most effective technique for me is the only simple thing is past paper questions. Because all you want is the information to go in the head.
And to do that, you need to repeat and repeat like how babies learn walking. Know and learn from mistakes, keep doing questions til u feel confident. It's good that your on the studentroom Sure you'll be successful in the future best of luck.
Eleanor.may27
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Thank you so much x
(Original post by Batman2k1)
haha why are you scared? GCSE'S are not the major thing, a levels are, but alll are important, i'm not saying that.

Dude past papers questions if u find that it don't work try something untill it works for you.
Personally, i followed other revision tips like flashcards, but then it never worked for me. It only worked that i stop trying to make revision work,
instead, be free and creative and ironically flashcards did work for me on computer and past papers.
Search Ali abdaal on youtube active recall.
Most effective technique for me is the only simple thing is past paper questions. Because all you want is the information to go in the head.
And to do that, you need to repeat and repeat like how babies learn walking. Know and learn from mistakes, keep doing questions til u feel confident. It's good that your on the studentroom Sure you'll be successful in the future best of luck.
pawełzgdzieś
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Revision techniques mainly depend on what your goals are. The golden rule is that repetition makes all knowledge perfect in one's mind, however if you are pressed for time repetition could seem like hell. If your subjects require a lot of reading, try active reading techniques. This is where you summarise what you have read from a paragraph or page by writing a sentence or two about the critical points of the subject at hand (or simply giving a summary in your head, but by hand is better because it forces you to slow down and allows the knowledge to seep in more). I believe this will help you keep track of what you are reading, and if you feel that you begin to mindlessly read (reading without understanding anything), then first, take your revision paragraph by paragraph by forcing yourself to summarise what you are reading. It doesn't have to be long, but the longer the better. That way you can absorb more information in one sitting than having to read something 3-4 times just to obtain the same amount of information.
Teesside University
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hi Eleanor

Don't worry if mind maps and past papers aren't the best way for you to revise - everyone revises differently and whilst these techniques might be useful for some people, those methods aren't for everyone ... Saying this, active revision is usually the most effective type of revision...by this I mean that revising by actively doing something is generally considered more useful than than just reading and re-reading your notes and textbooks for example.

Try to stay relaxed about it all and keep in mind that basically revision is just practising using the information that you've learnt so that it sticks in your head. Remember that you've already done the hard work by learning and understanding it already now you need to show this. You can revise in soo many ways but here are a few you might find helpful...

summarise it...how would you outline everything you've learnt to someone who doesn't know about the topic area? What are the most important bits? If you met an alien who had never heard of your topic how would you explain it to them?! :idea2:

try YouTube...there are so many education and revision based channels, search for your course or topic area and see what you can find to help, even if it's just for five minutes to break things up

create a diagram or drawing of the key points of your topic - this is a great one if you're creative :bubbles: often the process of thinking of what to draw is really helpful in getting the key information to stick... don't just think of revision as pages of notes - make it as interesting as you possibly can by being creative... check out some bullet journal ideas on Pinterest for inspiration (I like this one for example :jive:)...a bonus of this is that it looks lovely to read back over and/or stick up around your desk

quiz yourself, or ask your friends or family to fire quick questions at you... or do that with your school friends and make into it a bit of a game

if you're not keen on past papers set yourself some mock exam questions...if you were the examiner, what would you ask?

post it challenge - give yourself one post it, or one piece of paper and use the space wisely to write or draw the most important parts of your learning on it... you only have limited space so think about what really needs to be on there... you could time yourself to do this too

:rolleyes: create a revision timetable - cover all topic areas and ensure you set aside enough time for each..it sounds simple but it'll help you feel reassured that you've plotted out the time to cover everything

build breaks into your day and make sure you fit some relaxation time in - this is really important! Stick to your timetable and enjoy your time off when it comes... get some treats ready for when you've completed a particular section or topic :cookie:

Hope this helps a bit. Try a few different techniques to see what works best. Don't be too hard on yourself...you're doing great! :flower2:

Best of luck with it all...:crossedf:
(Original post by Eleanor.may27)
Eleanor.may27
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Thank you so much for your help and motivation it means a lot
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (403)
26.32%
The paper was reasonable (660)
43.11%
Not feeling great about that exam (302)
19.73%
It was TERRIBLE (166)
10.84%

Watched Threads