Studying at Kent Medway Campus Watch

jemizima
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Has anyone been studying MSC Digital Marketing at Medway Campus and can share what's like student life there, lecturers and such?
PhoenixFortune
  • Universities Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Moved to University of Kent forum.
Student Rep Phil
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hello jemizima,

Great question! I am currently in my final year studying Business & Management at the Medway campus and have also applied for the MSc in Digital Marketing so happy to answer your questions and share my experience of the campus and the business school.

The Business School over at the Medway Campus is absolutely fantastic and I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here at Kent. It is located in the Historic Dockyard which is surrounded by a lot of history and culture which adds to the overall experience. It has some truly magnificent views and there are a lot of museums and attractions nearby that you can always visit for free as a student, if thats what you're interested in. They occasionally do some filming in the Dockyard as well which is great to watch and the sets are beautiful. Think the last thing I saw them film was for a movie called Summerland which stars Gemma Arteton (not released yet though!).

The Business School is conveniently located and you are only about a 10-15 minute walk away from the Chatham town centre where there are plenty of shops and restaurants that you can hang out at if you're looking to kill time or just chill. On the opposite side, you're also a 10-15 minute away from the Chatham Dockside which basically has your shops and restaurants among other things including Starbucks, Odeon, PureGym and even a newly opened TacoBell to name a few.

I am really satisfied with the teaching over here at the Medway Campus and have always seen the benefits of studying at a smaller campus. The lecturers take the time to know you on an individual level which is something that you don't always get, especially at much larger campuses. You really get to develop a strong relationship with the lecturers here and you can literally go to them about anything and everything and they will take time to listen and support you as best as they can, whether it is an issue about an assignment, application for jobs or something else that you wanted to discuss. The best thing is, they remember you by your name which is very motivating. There is a great sense of belonging and community here. Some of the lecturers are like friends to me now and have really supported me with my decisions to take on a Masters programme.

Your lectures will be held in the Historic Dockyard Church which is absolutely stunning. I believe they are also expanding the Sail and Colour Loft (where Seminars are held) to create more study rooms and classrooms for students to provide a more engaging environment that promotes learning. There are a lot of great changes taking place so you'll be coming at a great time!

Hope this has helped to answer your questions. Feel free to ask more if you do have any! Always happy to help

All the best
Phil

(Original post by jemizima)
Has anyone been studying MSC Digital Marketing at Medway Campus and can share what's like student life there, lecturers and such?
jemizima
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by Student Rep Phil)
Hello jemizima,

Great question! I am currently in my final year studying Business & Management at the Medway campus and have also applied for the MSc in Digital Marketing so happy to answer your questions and share my experience of the campus and the business school.

The Business School over at the Medway Campus is absolutely fantastic and I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here at Kent. It is located in the Historic Dockyard which is surrounded by a lot of history and culture which adds to the overall experience. It has some truly magnificent views and there are a lot of museums and attractions nearby that you can always visit for free as a student, if thats what you're interested in. They occasionally do some filming in the Dockyard as well which is great to watch and the sets are beautiful. Think the last thing I saw them film was for a movie called Summerland which stars Gemma Arteton (not released yet though!).

The Business School is conveniently located and you are only about a 10-15 minute walk away from the Chatham town centre where there are plenty of shops and restaurants that you can hang out at if you're looking to kill time or just chill. On the opposite side, you're also a 10-15 minute away from the Chatham Dockside which basically has your shops and restaurants among other things including Starbucks, Odeon, PureGym and even a newly opened TacoBell to name a few.

I am really satisfied with the teaching over here at the Medway Campus and have always seen the benefits of studying at a smaller campus. The lecturers take the time to know you on an individual level which is something that you don't always get, especially at much larger campuses. You really get to develop a strong relationship with the lecturers here and you can literally go to them about anything and everything and they will take time to listen and support you as best as they can, whether it is an issue about an assignment, application for jobs or something else that you wanted to discuss. The best thing is, they remember you by your name which is very motivating. There is a great sense of belonging and community here. Some of the lecturers are like friends to me now and have really supported me with my decisions to take on a Masters programme.

Your lectures will be held in the Historic Dockyard Church which is absolutely stunning. I believe they are also expanding the Sail and Colour Loft (where Seminars are held) to create more study rooms and classrooms for students to provide a more engaging environment that promotes learning. There are a lot of great changes taking place so you'll be coming at a great time!

Hope this has helped to answer your questions. Feel free to ask more if you do have any! Always happy to help

All the best
Phil
I indeed have more questions I'm curious about 😂:

What do you think about teaching quality of lecturers and how is each module taught?

Do you think the things that are taught in this module are practical in real life?

Does the university assist students in finding job (or rather does the Medway have some job portal and such), CV revisions, interview, etc.?

How many hours of lecture per week?

Thanks
Last edited by jemizima; 4 days ago
Student Rep Phil
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Haha, no worries!

The teaching quality here is consistent and I found most of my lecturers engaging so that's a plus! Most of them are academics, researchers and have relevant experience from industry so were able to share their experience of their time in the field as well as cutting edge research which made the modules much more exciting and relevant to the real world and business practice.

I would say every module is taught differently and the lecturers have their own unique ways of delivering the content to us students. For example, one of my modules during my second year consisted of having guest lecturers coming in every week to deliver a presentation which is relevant to the course topics but heavily applied to their field of work so you were able to understand how theory worked in practice. It was thoroughly enjoyable and as you can imagine, very different to how lectures are usually carried out. I would say the modules are innovative to say the least.

Some modules will consist of lectures and seminars and others will be purely lectures and workshops where you are able to develop your skills in the labs and use industry software. Labs/seminars are usually one hour and lectures can either be 1 or 2 hours depending on which one it is.

Funnily enough I actually had a chat with one of the Marketing lecturers in April before I applied for the MSc Digital Marketing course so I'm happy to share with you what I discovered. The course is still relatively new, I think it only just started running last year and was developed with students and needs of the market in mind. It combines elements of 'soft' marketing where you have a chance to learn all about marketing theory as well as the applied side of Digital Marketing which is more statistical and analytics driven which is basically what employers in the market are demanding these days. You'll most likely be in the labs for these and be using industry software. So in response to your question I would definitely say yes, the course is practical to real life!

I had around 5 hours of lectures and 4 hours of seminars each week and of course they recommend for you to do independent learning at home as well. I had 4 modules each term (8 modules in total for the year). I think there are a lot more for postgraduate degrees though since you will be doing far more than 8 modules.

Yes! Our careers advisors for the Careers and Employability service Natalie and Amy are absolutely brilliant and really supported me when I was searching for a placement in my second year which I managed to secure. You are able to visit them anytime during their drop-in hour or alternatively you can book an appointment to meet with them as well. They can help you with all sorts such as guidance on career paths, mock interviews, assessment centres, support with CV and personal statements and general advice about employment, etc! They're really knowledgable and understand what employers are looking for and what makes them tick.

Hope this has answered your questions for now! Feel free to pop me a message if you have any more.

Philip

(Original post by jemizima)
I indeed have more questions I'm curious about 😂:

What do you think about teaching quality of lecturers and how is each module taught?

Do you think the things that are taught in this module are practical in real life?

Does the university assist students in finding job (or rather does the Medway have some job portal and such), CV revisions, interview, etc.?

How many hours of lecture per week?

Thanks
Last edited by Student Rep Phil; 3 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Jun '19
  • University of Kent
    Sat, 6 Jul '19
  • University of Kent
    Sat, 5 Oct '19

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (193)
22.47%
The paper was reasonable (360)
41.91%
Not feeling great about that exam... (168)
19.56%
It was TERRIBLE (138)
16.07%

Watched Threads