Cyber Security Watch

peeveef
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I want to do cyber security at university and wanted to know how similar is it to computer science and do I have to have done Computer science before? How much of an advantage is computer science a level for this course? I did it for GCSE but dropped it after that.
Jamesshoreo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You could have a look on the website of each university, some have a course outline where you will be able to see the modules that you will be studying if you took that course. Why not email them and ask their opinion?
JunJun08
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If the degree is purely Cyber Security, it is quite different to a CompSci degree but many principles of learning how tech works are the same. There is less math in the Cyber degree and you don't go into too much detail into things like compiler design and complex algorithms/logic. There is much more of a vocational element in Cyber Security, and possibly niche, applied topics like Threat Intelligence and Malware Analysis. If you hope for a Cyber Security career, take a look at one of the Government certified BSc Degrees, certified by the National Cyber Security Centre.

If you wish to keep your options more open and are fine with not doing much CyberSec at uni level then go for computer science - but fundamentally, depending on the degree, both will give you a solid knowledge of how tech works (networks, OSs, coding and architecture). But the cyber element will allow you to apply your knowledge better to that field and will prepare you for a Cyber career.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (209)
22.67%
The paper was reasonable (416)
45.12%
Not feeling great about that exam... (172)
18.66%
It was TERRIBLE (125)
13.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise