Tampons - embarrassing, possibly TMI Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
So I’m 16 and started using tampons (only use them occasionally) almost 2 years ago. I’ve always had this problem (especially with applicator tampons) that whenever I insert them, I find it is really painful once it is quite far in (but the inside bit of the applicator isn’t fully in if you know what I mean). I was just wondering if anyone else experiences this and/or know why it happens. It’s really weird because I’ve had sex and it doesn’t happen during that, just with tampons. Bizarre.
Kindred
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
This is kinda something you're going to have to work out by yourself. It could be you're trying to get them in at an odd angle, you're a bit dry, you're tensing up or something else. What I would do is grab a couple of fresh tampons (maybe some different sizes or application types), lay in your bed with a towel down and have abit of a feel for things. Work out what's different between the tampons and sex that makes it difficult for you. Try some different angles, relaxing your muscles, using a little bit of lube, using shorter or smaller tampions etc. It might help to feel the area for yourself if you are comfortablewith that so you know more about what angle it is at and such. If you're fine with sex it's unlikely to be any actual issue so you should be able to work it outyoirself with a bit of patience. Once you've worked out how to do it laying down in bed (a more natural position for it) you should be able to bare that in mind and be able to get it done in the bathroom when you would usually do it.
Zionxi
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Do you mean it's painful when you push the inner tube into the outer one to force the tampon out of the applicator or it's painful when its actually in?

If it's when it's in, you might want to use a lower absorbency as the tampon could be pulling at the skin. Don't forget it's made out of fibres which are designed to expand and not fall out whereas a penis is pretty much as smooth as marble in comparison. A lower absorbency will be slightly smaller overall when expanded and wont tug as much as you move around. Just don't forget that you might need to change it more frequently as it wont hold as much.

If it's when you are inserting it, it may be that you are inserting the applicator too far in and then it's hurting when you push the tampon out as it's sitting too high. Your fingers that are holding the outer tube should be just touching you when it is inserted at the right height, if you push the applicator itself too far in then the tampon gets pushed in even further into your vagina and (as TMI as this might be) the pain might me because your ramming a tampon at your cervix.

As the other poster said, it's something that you just need to work out what your sweet spot is for getting them in quickly and painlessly. Everyone is different and have different ways of getting tampons in, it's just trial and error until you can find your easiest way. It might be harder as you are already expecting it to hurt but don't get frustrated with yourself if it takes time, most people who use tampons have gone through this so you're definitely not alone!
hallamstudents
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Try using a smaller tampon and maybe a little lube on the plastic applicator to make it less painful. It took me a while to get the hang of them, and I found when it hurt I hadn't put it in far enough or it was at the wrong angle. I think these things take a bit of practice, but if it doesn't end up working for you there are plenty of alternatives

Lucy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has 2019 been so far?

Amazing!!! (41)
5.69%
Fairly positive (239)
33.15%
Just another year... (286)
39.67%
Is it 2020 yet? (155)
21.5%

Watched Threads