internship decisions pls help Watch

Cpj16
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I am M[21]. I have recently got a summer internship in London. The commute is about 1hr 30 mins from my home-which is outside London. My parents want me to stay at home and commute everyday, but I would much rather live in a 2 bed in London with my girlfriend. [2 bed because I am Asian and my parents will find reassurance that we are not sleeping in the same bed… they don’t want to know]. My girlfriend is an international student and will have to live by herself if I don’t stay with her for her summer internship. We have different internships, she is doing IB and I m doing data and analytics. I feel like I am controlled by my parents and it’s really hard for me to have a say in anything, What can I say or do to explain to them that I do not want to be commuting 3 hours a day to just see their face. I have never lived in London and would love to stay there.

I guess the real issue is that I don’t want to rebel against my parents and be shunned, but I also would much rather stay in London for my convenience and enjoyment. I am not asking them for any money. They want me to use the money from my internship and put it towards my tuition fees next year. My family is doing okay financially, we are not rich but my parents have a bit of debt to pay off.

Please help, on one hand my gf is telling me that I don’t stand up to my parents, but I don’t want to disrespect them. At the same time, I want to explain that I want to be responsible for my own career and I believe it will be important to stay in London if I have to make connections with my colleagues.

Numberswise..
or 9 weeks it would roughly cost me 2500 if I stayed with my gf. (Her internship is same length of time)
It will cost 200 pounds (have railcard 1/3 off).- zone 1-2 travel
My gf and I are in a serious relationship, we have been together for almost 3 years.

I will get a salary of roughly 5k for a 35 hour week (not much) plus overtime
It will cost 530 pounds roughly for 2 months travel from my parents house to the office and around London (unlimited use) (have railcard 1/3 off)

What do I do?
Last edited by Cpj16; 6 days ago
PhoenixFortune
  • Universities Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Moved to IT and Technology forum, due to the subject of your internship.
Molseh
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Absolutely move to London. You need to make a stand with your parents that it is time for you to gain independence irregardless of the 1h30 e/w commute - which will drain the life out of you by the way.
ralva_29
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I think you should stay in London and try to convince your parents of the benefits of staying there. But it is completely upto u what u want to do.
(Original post by Cpj16)
I am M[21]. I have recently got a summer internship in London. The commute is about 1hr 30 mins from my home-which is outside London. My parents want me to stay at home and commute everyday, but I would much rather live in a 2 bed in London with my girlfriend. [2 bed because I am Asian and my parents will find reassurance that we are not sleeping in the same bed… they don’t want to know]. My girlfriend is an international student and will have to live by herself if I don’t stay with her for her summer internship. We have different internships, she is doing IB and I m doing data and analytics. I feel like I am controlled by my parents and it’s really hard for me to have a say in anything, What can I say or do to explain to them that I do not want to be commuting 3 hours a day to just see their face. I have never lived in London and would love to stay there.

I guess the real issue is that I don’t want to rebel against my parents and be shunned, but I also would much rather stay in London for my convenience and enjoyment. I am not asking them for any money. They want me to use the money from my internship and put it towards my tuition fees next year. My family is doing okay financially, we are not rich but my parents have a bit of debt to pay off.

Please help, on one hand my gf is telling me that I don’t stand up to my parents, but I don’t want to disrespect them. At the same time, I want to explain that I want to be responsible for my own career and I believe it will be important to stay in London if I have to make connections with my colleagues.

Numberswise..
or 9 weeks it would roughly cost me 2500 if I stayed with my gf. (Her internship is same length of time)
It will cost 200 pounds (have railcard 1/3 off).- zone 1-2 travel
My gf and I are in a serious relationship, we have been together for almost 3 years.

I will get a salary of roughly 5k for a 35 hour week (not much) plus overtime
It will cost 530 pounds roughly for 2 months travel from my parents house to the office and around London (unlimited use) (have railcard 1/3 off)

What do I do?
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Move to London, facetime your parents every spare moments (if any), or at least once a day. Visit home at the weekend, stay overnight, that might work?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (136)
24.91%
The paper was reasonable (242)
44.32%
Not feeling great about that exam (105)
19.23%
It was TERRIBLE (63)
11.54%

Watched Threads