My mum is trying to put me on "carnivore diet"... Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
I weigh quite a lot ( 15 - 20 pounds overweight) but I look heavier so my mum decided that the lifestyle changes I've implemented aren't enough. For the past week, she has restricted my diet to the point where I'm only allowed to eat spinach, cabbage, leafy greens, and meat.

It's just me and her at home so it's easier for her to only have certain foods in the house. I don't live near any shops nor do I get the money to buy stuff. I am losing weight but I think that's due to lack of eating since the amount of meat is sickening.
What do I do?

tl;dr: Mum is forcing me to eat only meat to lose weight. What do I do?
sknudson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
That sounds like what I'm doing as a low carb dieter - although you should be able to include some eggs, cheese, peanuts, and almonds in that. What do you want to include in your diet?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Pretty much what you said except for dairy (lactose intolerant). I would really want to include more veg and fruit but my mum thinks "all carbs are bad for fat people" ( actual quote) She is aiming for 5g total carbs a day for me.
(Original post by sknudson)
That sounds like what I'm doing as a low carb dieter - although you should be able to include some eggs, cheese, peanuts, and almonds in that. What do you want to include in your diet?
bitter_raabit
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
5g of carbs a day is simply unhealthy - your body needs to have all kinds of food inside to keep it functioning! The main point is to ensure you eat enough of all kinds of food and not too much as well as exercising. Eating to lose weight is really unhealthy and whilst the effects may not be very visible at first, they will bring about negative impacts long term
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
First of all carnivore diet is just meat only.

Tell your mum that weight loss is just a caloric deficit (I lost 12kg since November and there were lots of days where I still got Frappes from
Starbucks).

Weight loss = caloric deficit. To get a caloric deficit you just need to eat below your TDEE. You do this by weighing your food and calculating calories using an app like MyFitnessPal

Low carb diet is fine aslong as it is sustainable and something you enjoy.
sknudson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Pretty much what you said except for dairy (lactose intolerant). I would really want to include more veg and fruit but my mum thinks "all carbs are bad for fat people" ( actual quote) She is aiming for 5g total carbs a day for me.
She's not on the wrong track, but a 5g limit is pretty unrealistic. That being said I do have to purposely try to go above 80g (current daily limit). I just barely did today by having two bananas and a packet of oatmeal. I'm usually much closer to 50g and well over on the protein, but I do like eating meat.

Take some inspo from this list and pass it on. Note Atkins allows 20g carbs/day in the initial phase and that's a far more reasonable limit: https://www.atkins.com/how-it-works/...low-carb-foods
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has 2019 been so far?

Amazing!!! (41)
5.65%
Fairly positive (242)
33.33%
Just another year... (287)
39.53%
Is it 2020 yet? (156)
21.49%

Watched Threads