The Student Room Group

I regret everything

A bit of a dramatic title, but hey-ho.

I regret almost everything about my degree choice. I'm studying Geography but I'm currently on my placement year, working abroad teaching English (not really relevant to my degree, had to fight tooth and nail to get it approved) and this year has just confirmed for me that I have absolutely no interest in my degree.

Living away from uni for a year has also made me realise that the uni experience in general for me hasn't been very fulfilling at all.

Going back to uni next year to do final year is the last thing I want to do - I've lost all motivation for studying and I've come to realise I never really had much passion for my subject in the first place. I messed up my A Levels and rather than resitting I just accepted a lower offer to study the subject I got the best grade in.

What can I do? I've been thinking of emailing my tutor at uni and explaining how I'm so disenchanted with uni life but I can't see it achieving anything, I imagine she'll say to suck it up and just finish final year, which I agree with but then what do I do afterwards? I have zero interest in pursuing any related career, and I can't bear the thought of starting a degree all over again in a subject I'm actually interested in.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi, how about you start thinking about what job you would like to do then work backwards? That might be helpful. Remember you do not have to go into the field of your degree. However, a degree is a requirement for a lot of entry level jobs. That are not even relevant to your degree course
Reply 2
I'd say to finish it because you will regret it. My sister did a geograpjy degree and didnt want to have a career related to it but now she works in a bank and is working her way up. Honestly today a degree is required for a lot of jobs and geography is a science degree so a lot of employers will like. Try your best not to worry about it! there is never a best decision.
Original post by elcalvo

I regret almost everything about my degree choice. I'm studying Geography but I'm currently on my placement year, working abroad teaching English (not really relevant to my degree, had to fight tooth and nail to get it approved) and this year has just confirmed for me that I have absolutely no interest in my degree.

Living away from uni for a year has also made me realise that the uni experience in general for me hasn't been very fulfilling at all.

Going back to uni next year to do final year is the last thing I want to do - I've lost all motivation for studying and I've come to realise I never really had much passion for my subject in the first place. I messed up my A Levels and rather than resitting I just accepted a lower offer to study the subject I got the best grade in.

What can I do? I've been thinking of emailing my tutor at uni and explaining how I'm so disenchanted with uni life but I can't see it achieving anything, I imagine she'll say to suck it up and just finish final year, which I agree with but then what do I do afterwards? I have zero interest in pursuing any related career, and I can't bear the thought of starting a degree all over again in a subject I'm actually interested in.
Reply 3
Do you enjoy teaching? You could easily do Pgce and certainly do primary and prob some subjects at secondary level.
Original post by Unii123
I'd say to finish it because you will regret it. My sister did a geograpjy degree and didnt want to have a career related to it but now she works in a bank and is working her way up. Honestly today a degree is required for a lot of jobs and geography is a science degree so a lot of employers will like. Try your best not to worry about it! there is never a best decision.

Original post by elcalvo

I agree with the idea of thinking about what job you would like to do in the future and working backwards. It may be that you will need to do a vocational masters to switch to something non Geography related, and working towards that goal could give you the motivation to finish third year.

Quick Reply

Latest