The Student Room Group

why do we analyse texts in English literature and not actually create literature.

English literature in schools is just analysing how other people make literature. I realise that we never actually produce our own piece of literature at all. English literature is like a art by that I mean that there's more than one way of producing a masterpiece. The way that school teacher us English literature limits us because first of all we don't actually write any literature and they make us believe that a certain style is the only acceptable way of writing which can limit creativity. I just don't understand why English literature is more about analysing literature rather than producing literature. So what do you think?

Sorry for any mistakes this was made in a rush
Reply 1
Ive wondered this for a long time.
You get to write your own stuff in English language through creative writing.
Reply 3
I think the reason has to do with increased practicality. In analyzing literature you are exercising a very precise and rather useful skill - critical and lateral thinking. Conversely, writing your own literature has something softer, more subtle and less definable about it. Certainly it’d be nice if it were taught but to teach it methodically and systematically as can be done with analysis is simply impossible.
Original post by Li_ger
English literature in schools is just analysing how other people make literature. I realise that we never actually produce our own piece of literature at all. English literature is like a art by that I mean that there's more than one way of producing a masterpiece. The way that school teacher us English literature limits us because first of all we don't actually write any literature and they make us believe that a certain style is the only acceptable way of writing which can limit creativity. I just don't understand why English literature is more about analysing literature rather than producing literature. So what do you think?

Sorry for any mistakes this was made in a rush

Telling you story & interpreting others stories are different skills
I used to think a little like this during GCSEs. However, since then I have changed my mind. Not only does analysing literature hone one's critical thinking, it also deepens our understanding of literature and you begin to appreciate the seemingly subtle differences between novels. And if you study literature you will know that these differences are more often than not indicative of the context of the age the novels were published in, I should know.... A-level English Lit was more a History lesson than anything else.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
English literature at this level is an introduction to literary criticism. I simply respond to this thread in case anyone else sees this because it hasn't been mentioned, but pre-university English literature equips you with the rudimentary tools of critical theory when analysing prose, poetry and drama. In the critique of fiction, you do not write your own, such a skill is reserved for the English language courses.
(edited 4 years ago)
English Literature, according to my perspective is way to think,analyze,judge and criticise the societal constructed actors which affect us and it teaches us how to think rationally not by acting on things on the basis of pre-determinant opinion which Orthodoxes do and it teaches you that you can't have happiness from material things but happiness comes from others happiness, it means serve people who are not willing to be helped!
this all my dear for understanding Literature.
there are a lot of things that I can't tell you because I've got work to do!😐

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending