Mb.68-72
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
when a satellite is orbiting the earth and moves to a lower orbit, it changes kinetic and grav potential energies.

WHY is the total energy change of satellite= kinetic energy change - potential energy change ?

Also, if the satellite is going to a higher orbit, would the equation be the other way around?
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The total energy change of the satellite = kinetic energy change + potential energy change, however gravitational potential energy is defined as being 0 when the satellite is infinitely far away from the Earth, and is expressed as being negative when closer so there minus sign is within the formula for the potential energy:

$U = -\frac{GMm}{r}$
When going from a higher orbit to a lower one the magnitude of the potential energy increases, but because of the minus sign it will be more negative, so overall the change in gravitational potential energy will be negative.

If the satellite moves to a higher orbit the potential will become closer to 0, and so the overall change will be positive.

(Original post by Henny987)
when a satellite is orbiting the earth and moves to a lower orbit, it changes kinetic and grav potential energies.

WHY is the total energy change of satellite= kinetic energy change - potential energy change ?

Also, if the satellite is going to a higher orbit, would the equation be the other way around?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (588)
33.97%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (718)
41.48%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (346)
19.99%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.56%

Watched Threads