Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My education results -
GCSE
A: Maths, Physics, Eng lang and Eng lit
B: Biology, Chemistry and History
C: French
I'm in my last year of college studying BTEC Extended Diploma Applied Science (I will finish in a few weeks) I'm basically guaranteed to get D*D*D*. I'm also doing an As in Mathematics, expected to get a B.
I definitely want to do an engineering apprenticeship instead of going Uni. A level 6 degree apprenticeship would be perfect, but it seems they are very hard tog get without a little bit of experience in engineering. Therefore I've been applying to level 3 apprenticeships as well as level 6.

I was just wondering the likelihood of me securing an engineering apprenticeship based off of my grades (also I'm 20 years old). My work experience includes teaching Islamic studies at a school for kids, volunteer tradesman's assistant, assistant accountant as well as various fast food jobs. Has anyone with similar grades to mine been able to get an engineering apprenticeship?
I've applied to over 30 apprenticeships atm and am at different stages of the recruiting process in all of them.
Recently I've been a little disheartened as the main apprenticeship I wanted at a nuclear power plant was unsuccessful, I was able to get through the aptitude tests ans was invited for an interview (it went okay). I was told yesterday that I didn't get it. As you can tell I've been applying to as many places as I can and I'm just a bit worried that come September I won't have an apprenticeship and I really don't feel like taking loans out to go Uni, so that's not an option. Does my age change anything? I've heard that 16-18 year old's receive more funding from gov for apprenticeships. If anyone is currently doing an apprenticeship please leave some advice. Also should I try to get some experience in the engineering industry in summer holidays, anyone know how to secure work experience at companies through summer?
brainzistheword
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by NJK98)
My education results -
GCSE
I'm in my last year of college studying BTEC Extended Diploma Applied Science (I will finish in a few weeks) I'm basically guaranteed to get D*D*D*. I'm also doing an As in Mathematics, expected to get a B.
I definitely want to do an engineering apprenticeship instead of going Uni. A level 6 degree apprenticeship would be perfect, but it seems they are very hard tog get without a little bit of experience in engineering. Therefore I've been applying to level 3 apprenticeships as well as level 6.

I was just wondering the likelihood of me securing an engineering apprenticeship based off of my grades (also I'm 20 years old). My work experience includes teaching Islamic studies at a school for kids, volunteer tradesman's assistant, assistant accountant as well as various fast food jobs. Has anyone with similar grades to mine been able to get an engineering apprenticeship?
I've applied to over 30 apprenticeships atm and am at different stages of the recruiting process in all of them.
Recently I've been a little disheartened as the main apprenticeship I wanted at a nuclear power plant was unsuccessful, I was able to get through the aptitude tests ans was invited for an interview (it went okay). I was told yesterday that I didn't get it. As you can tell I've been applying to as many places as I can and I'm just a bit worried that come September I won't have an apprenticeship and I really don't feel like taking loans out to go Uni, so that's not an option. Does my age change anything? I've heard that 16-18 year old's receive more funding from gov for apprenticeships. If anyone is currently doing an apprenticeship please leave some advice. Also should I try to get some experience in the engineering industry in summer holidays, anyone know how to secure work experience at companies through summer?
Hey

You're definitely doing the right thing in that you're applying to as many schemes as you can. What levels are the apprenticeships you've applied for?

I'm an engineering apprentice and there's a number of people on my scheme with a variety of backgrounds - all sorts of grades at all sorts of levels and varying levels of experience (some with no experience at all) so there's no reason why you can't get an apprenticeship.

As for industry experience, a number of companies offer work experience or events. Perhaps you could look for conferences to attend? At least that shows your willingness to learn about the industry.

Do you have a particular engineering sector in mind - nuclear perhaps? Maybe look at the Royal Academy of Engineering, IET or the Institute of Physics for events that interest you

Hope that helps a bit but by all means I'm always happy to chat if you need more ideas or a hand with anything
NJK98
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Atm, I've applied to level 6 and level 3 (mostly level 3 as there are less level 6 ones). To be honest I don't mind doing anything in the engineering field, I just wanna get my foot in the door with a pretty good company and gain experience. then see where I can progress with my career. If you don't mind me asking which company are you doing your apprenticeship with and how are you finding it. Also what were your grades and did you have any prior experience?
(Original post by brainzistheword)
Hey

You're definitely doing the right thing in that you're applying to as many schemes as you can. What levels are the apprenticeships you've applied for?

I'm an engineering apprentice and there's a number of people on my scheme with a variety of backgrounds - all sorts of grades at all sorts of levels and varying levels of experience (some with no experience at all) so there's no reason why you can't get an apprenticeship.

As for industry experience, a number of companies offer work experience or events. Perhaps you could look for conferences to attend? At least that shows your willingness to learn about the industry.

Do you have a particular engineering sector in mind - nuclear perhaps? Maybe look at the Royal Academy of Engineering, IET or the Institute of Physics for events that interest you

Hope that helps a bit but by all means I'm always happy to chat if you need more ideas or a hand with anything
Staps
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd say grades wise you're fine. Age shouldn't be an issue. I was 22 when I started my level 4 Data Analyst Apprenticeship, funding was different depending on age but don't know if this has changed in the past couple of years. Any extra work experience that you can get will always help you. Did you receive feedback on why didn't get the role you had an interview for? If possible will be worth seeing why not so you are aware for future applications
NJK98
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I did call back for some feedback. They said that my grades were good and the interview went really well, they said there wasn't really much I could've done better in the interview. They mentioned they wouldn't mind taking me on but there were only two places and around a hundred applicants, the people who got it must've had a little bit more experience.
(Original post by Staps)
I'd say grades wise you're fine. Age shouldn't be an issue. I was 22 when I started my level 4 Data Analyst Apprenticeship, funding was different depending on age but don't know if this has changed in the past couple of years. Any extra work experience that you can get will always help you. Did you receive feedback on why didn't get the role you had an interview for? If possible will be worth seeing why not so you are aware for future applications
National Careers Service
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by NJK98)
My education results -
GCSE

You're certainly doing the right thing by applying for lower levels, there are also levels 4 and 5 if you can find any local opportunities.

Your age shouldn't change anything as there is no upper age limit on apprenticeships. Employers do get more funding for 16-18 year old's however employers should be looking for the right candidate with the right skills.

I would highly recommend getting some engineering experience under your belt over the summer this will improve your chances of being successful and will give you more experiences to draw upon in your applications and interviews.

Both Bentley, Rolls Royce and Siemens all have work experience schemes, you could also check out website like Tomorrows Engineers for more information.

We have recently been made aware of these upcoming space work experience opportunities some of which are really related to engineering - https://sa.catapult.org.uk/work-with...industry-spin/

I hope this helps.

Sophie.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who do you think will be the next PM?

Boris Johnson (224)
72.73%
Jeremy Hunt (84)
27.27%

Watched Threads