Questions about A-level exam process-intl student Watch

doglover56
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Hello

I am an international student who is looking to take the A-level exams (Maths, further maths, and history) next year so I can hopefully go to university in UK. I am going to be doing this as a private candidate at an exam centre.

I am very confused about how the examination process works :/

For further maths, if I understand correctly, I must choose between statistics, decision maths, and mechanics? Do I do this as well for maths? Please if someone could explain the course structure for maths and further maths it would be very helpful

Since I will be sitting these exams privately, I will not be taking the modules for these a levels. Are these modules required for me to receive at least one A* in my a level results?

Is it possible to get A* as a private candidate? Because I looked at the information online and it said something related to a Uniform Mark Scale...and I don't quite understand this.

I would really appreciate help. Thank you
Last edited by doglover56; 5 days ago
DarleneChrist
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Are you teaching yourself or do you have a tutor? Which examination board (Cambridge, Aqa, Edexcel)? If you are taking Cambridge, maths or further maths, is no joke!! There's no way you can pass without being tutored for the longest time. If you are taking History for A level, I suggest you pick non science subjects along with it. They are much easier (i'm doing them) to get A or A* grades. UK Universities only care about grades more than choice of subjects.
(Original post by doglover56)
Hello

I am an international student who is looking to take the A-level exams (Maths, further maths, and history) next year so I can hopefully go to university in UK. I am going to be doing this as a private candidate at an exam centre.

I am very confused about how the examination process works :/

For further maths, if I understand correctly, I must choose between statistics, decision maths, and mechanics? Do I do this as well for maths?

Since I will be sitting these exams privately, I will not be taking the modules for these a levels. Are these modules required for me to receive at least one A* in my a level results?

Is it possible to get A* as a private candidate? Because I looked at the information online and it said something related to a Uniform Mark Scale...and I don't quite understand this.

I would really appreciate help. Thank you
doglover56
Rep:
?
Thank you for the response! my exam board is AQA. I have been studying advanced maths at school in my home country over the past few years so that is why I would like to do maths/further maths. however, i am not familiar with the UK examination guidelines and what A* exactly means. if i read your reply correctly, A star grades are based on the examinations only and not coursework/tests done in modules in sixth form?
(Original post by DarleneChrist)
Are you teaching yourself or do you have a tutor? Which examination board (Cambridge, Aqa, Edexcel)? If you are taking Cambridge, maths or further maths, is no joke!! There's no way you can pass without being tutored for the longest time. If you are taking History for A level, I suggest you pick non science subjects along with it. They are much easier (i'm doing them) to get A or A* grades. UK Universities only care about grades more than choice of subjects.
DarleneChrist
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
If you were taught then achieving A/A* is possible. Try studying the syllabus requirements and see which topics will be addressed in the exams.
A* grades are based on coursework/ modules for CAIE but it can be overwhelming since you have to study so many topics. I'm not sure what AQA math is like. Perhaps you should discuss this with a tutor.
(Original post by doglover56)
Thank you for the response! my exam board is AQA. I have been studying advanced maths at school in my home country over the past few years so that is why I would like to do maths/further maths. however, i am not familiar with the UK examination guidelines and what A* exactly means. if i read your reply correctly, A star grades are based on the examinations only and not coursework/tests done in modules in sixth form?
doglover56
Rep:
?
"A* grades are based on coursework/ modules for CAIE but it can be overwhelming since you have to study so many topics. "

So if my exam board was Cambridge...then it would not be possible for me to receive an A* because I am not taking the A-level modules/doing the coursework?

Thanks for the response!
(Original post by DarleneChrist)
If you were taught then achieving A/A* is possible. Try studying the syllabus requirements and see which topics will be addressed in the exams.
A* grades are based on coursework/ modules for CAIE but it can be overwhelming since you have to study so many topics. I'm not sure what AQA math is like. Perhaps you should discuss this with a tutor.
Last edited by doglover56; 5 days ago
doglover56
Rep:
?
bump
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (195)
22.6%
The paper was reasonable (361)
41.83%
Not feeling great about that exam... (168)
19.47%
It was TERRIBLE (139)
16.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed