Advice for extenuating circumstances concerning dissertation Watch

archiechip
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I'm currently in my final year at university, writing my dissertation. I have plans to do a masters degree in September, yet to apply. In order to be accepted I need at least a 2:1 overall in my undergrad (60%). I was on track however this year things have gone downhill, I've been dealing with depression and my attendance and grades have plummeted. I'm on the brink of falling off my baseline of 60% overall. Basically, the modules I've already completed this year are averaging just below 60%, so my dissertation needs to pull my grade up. I also still have one more exam in a few weeks time.

I started counseling with the service my university operates a few weeks ago, from this I realised how my mental health was effecting my work, so applied for an extension on my dissertation. The extension was granted and my deadline was pushed back. It's in 2 days time, however I'm still far from being done and what I have done is not reflective of my true work, and I believe it's more than likely if I can complete the dissertation then it will be well below the 60% I need. I have spoken to my faculty and they have told me that I can submit a second extenuating circumstances form to try get a referral summer submission which is not capped at 40% since it will technically still be my first attempt.

The question I am asking myself is - by relying on a summer submission, will my chances of being accepted into the masters degree be significantly reduced? I'm weighing up the possibility of getting less than 60% with the chance that my application may be compromised by a summer submission. (I have a house booked for the next academic year, as well as a presumed graduation planned.) - Which option should I lean on?
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by archiechip)
I'm currently in my final year at university, writing my dissertation. I have plans to do a masters degree in September, yet to apply. In order to be accepted I need at least a 2:1 overall in my undergrad (60%). I was on track however this year things have gone downhill, I've been dealing with depression and my attendance and grades have plummeted. I'm on the brink of falling off my baseline of 60% overall. Basically, the modules I've already completed this year are averaging just below 60%, so my dissertation needs to pull my grade up. I also still have one more exam in a few weeks time.

I started counseling with the service my university operates a few weeks ago, from this I realised how my mental health was effecting my work, so applied for an extension on my dissertation. The extension was granted and my deadline was pushed back. It's in 2 days time, however I'm still far from being done and what I have done is not reflective of my true work, and I believe it's more than likely if I can complete the dissertation then it will be well below the 60% I need. I have spoken to my faculty and they have told me that I can submit a second extenuating circumstances form to try get a referral summer submission which is not capped at 40% since it will technically still be my first attempt.

The question I am asking myself is - by relying on a summer submission, will my chances of being accepted into the masters degree be significantly reduced? I'm weighing up the possibility of getting less than 60% with the chance that my application may be compromised by a summer submission. (I have a house booked for the next academic year, as well as a presumed graduation planned.) - Which option should I lean on?
Take the summer subcommission ofc . Go and see the GP to confirm you are still suffering and and it will take more time to improve. Ultimately your degree is for life. Who really cares whether you do the MA this year or the next.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did you find the exam?