Friend worried about plagiarism on dissertation Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hi,

I have a friend that's been panicking for the past day because of their Turnitin percentage being 19%.
They worked on a project with not many sources out there and was a development to a previous project that was done at their university and so the report followed the same structure of the previous one, which her supervisor told her to follow.
She is scared that the order and structure of the work will get picked up and accused of plagiarism and I don't know what to say to her...

The literature reviews, of course, used the same sources but she is scared the two will compare similarly.

I told her as long as you have referenced the background research in the literature reviews to the correct studies, then you have nothing to worry about.

Am I right in saying this? Not sure how else I can calm her down...
CTLeafez
  • Life & Style Forum Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I believe lecturers grading dissertations generally look at the similarity % within context. Obviously 19% is quite significant but if it's building upon a previous project then it makes more sense. If your friend has been referencing correctly and followed the instructions of their supervisor properly then I'm sure there won't be an issue.

Your friend could always voice their concerns with their supervisor
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by CTLeafez)
I believe lecturers grading dissertations generally look at the similarity % within context. Obviously 19% is quite significant but if it's building upon a previous project then it makes more sense. If your friend has been referencing correctly and followed the instructions of their supervisor properly then I'm sure there won't be an issue.

Your friend could always voice their concerns with their supervisor
I think her biggest worry comes from the fact there was around a page and a half she had to copy directly word for word from the previous report (a list).
Her supervisor told her to state it was taken directly from the other report so it should be fine? I believe the supervisor does the grading too so it’s okay.
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi,

I have a friend that's been panicking for the past day because of their Turnitin percentage being 19%.
They worked on a project with not many sources out there and was a development to a previous project that was done at their university and so the report followed the same structure of the previous one, which her supervisor told her to follow.
She is scared that the order and structure of the work will get picked up and accused of plagiarism and I don't know what to say to her...

The literature reviews, of course, used the same sources but she is scared the two will compare similarly.

I told her as long as you have referenced the background research in the literature reviews to the correct studies, then you have nothing to worry about.

Am I right in saying this? Not sure how else I can calm her down...
I wouldn't worry too much it's building on a project and as long as hes referenced it it should be OK we did a project at uni as a group project and got 20% similarity and it was ok mostly it was if and's or buts in the same place as others no problems.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did you find the exam?