The Student Room Group

Help me choose - MSc Human Resource Management

Hello everyone,

I am an Indian national interested in pursuing MSc in Human Resource Management. I have done my previous degree in management and communications (1st Class) and have work experience at the head office of an Indian MNC which has a presence in London and Manchester.

I have received offers from the following universities:
1. The University of Liverpool (£2000 scholarship received)
2. University of Glasgow
3. Newcastle University (£4000 scholarship received)
4. University of York
5. University of Exeter

I am still waiting to hear from the University of Edinburgh. As an international student I will not be able to visit these universities personally so your help will be greatly needed:
1. Opinion about overall prestige and reputation in the UK according to the members and if there is any impact of reputation on the job prospects (I will return back to India after finishing the course and plan to work in India or Singapore)
2. Any information about the overall atmosphere, pros & cons & social life in these universities which can help me in choosing one of them?

Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.
(edited 4 years ago)
Given that you don't hold a British passport you're unlikely to get a job here so it reputation in the UK makes no difference (it generally makes little difference anyway). Info about cities, social life etc can be found online. Job prospects will depend on how the degree is received where you plan to work and what jobs you want to do.
Original post by ps9111996
Hello everyone,

I am an Indian national interested in pursuing MSc in Human Resource Management. I have done my previous degree in management and communications (1st Class) and have work experience at the head office of an Indian MNC which has a presence in London and Manchester.

2. University of York
4. University of Exeter

I am still waiting to hear from the University of Edinburgh, University of Glasgow, University of Manchester and the University of Sheffield. As an international student I will not be able to visit these universities personally so your help will be greatly needed:
1. Opinion about overall prestige and reputation in the UK. How would you rate them?
2. Any information about the cities, overall atmosphere & social life in these universities.
3. Any other information, pros & cons which you can share?
4. Job prospects.

Any detailed information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply. It was a challenge for me to shortlist the universities for application and now as I am even more confused. I checked the rankings and they are all over the place (Guardian, CUG, etc.). So, I wanted to know which management school enjoys a better reputation according to the members and if there is any impact on the job prospects. I will return back to India after finishing the course and plan to work in India or Singapore.

Original post by alleycat393
Given that you don't hold a British passport you're unlikely to get a job here so it reputation in the UK makes no difference (it generally makes little difference anyway). Info about cities, social life etc can be found online. Job prospects will depend on how the degree is received where you plan to work and what jobs you want to do.
Exactly. Rankings are all over the place because they are based on a variety of factors, some of which don't even apply to students. If you plan to work in India or Singapore it will matter how employers over there will view your qualifications, not UK rankings or students on a UK site.
Thank you for your reply. It was a challenge for me to shortlist the universities for application and now as I am even more confused. I checked the rankings and they are all over the place (Guardian, CUG, etc.). So, I wanted to know which management school enjoys a better reputation according to the members and if there is any impact on the job prospects. I will return back to India after finishing the course and plan to work in India or Singapore.
Reply 4
I have changed the original post according to the latest developments. The advise I have got from some professionals where I work, is that most of these universities will be viewed on an equal level with the University of Manchester being more well known. I have received some scholarship from Newcastle University as well (£4000 translates into INR 350000) which reduces the financial burden somewhat. So I will request the members again to help me in choosing or shortlisting by rating these universities accordingly. :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
I have changed the original post according to the latest developments. The advise I have got from some professionals where I work, is that most of these universities will be viewed on an equal level with the University of Manchester being more well known. I have received some scholarship from Newcastle & Exeter as well (£5000 translates into INR 450000) which reduces the financial burden somewhat. So I will request the members again to help me in choosing or shortlisting by rating these universities accordingly. :smile:

I’d go with Manchester first and then newcastle and Exeter based on which course is most interesting. You only need to pick one uni in the end.
Reply 6
Yes, picking one university out of the choices available is challenging. Thank you for providing your opinion, it definitely helps. I will update if something new happens. As of now, waiting for the scholarship decisions and offers from a couple of universities.
Original post by alleycat393
I’d go with Manchester first and then newcastle and Exeter based on which course is most interesting. You only need to pick one uni in the end.
I don't think there's much to choose between any of them apart from the fact that Manchester has a better international reputation and Liverpool is arguably not as well regarded as the others in the UK.

Manchester and Newcastle are very big, bustling cities and very multi cultural.

Exeter and York are smaller, prettier cities but less culturally diverse, so that is worth thinking about also - which sort of city appeals to you more?
Hello everyone,

2. University of York
4. The University of Exeter (£5000 scholarship received)

I am still waiting to hear from the University of Glasgow and the University of Manchester. As an international student I will not be able to visit these universities personally so your help will be greatly needed:
1. Opinion about overall prestige and reputation in the UK according to the members and if there is any impact of reputation on the job prospects (I will return back to India after finishing the course and plan to work in India or Singapore)
2. Any information about the overall atmosphere, pros & cons & social life in these universities which can help me in choosing one of them?

Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

Hey ps9111996,

Congratulations on your offer from Newcastle University!

For city life, we have some fantastic resources on our website that tells you what it is like to live in Newcastle (https://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/life/).
For careers, we have a fantastic careers service who are there to help you from the minute you register until three years after you graduate. They will help you market yourself, support with job applications, CV and interviews - see more here (https://www.ncl.ac.uk/careers/).

Good luck with everything and if you have anymore questions let me know and I'll do my best to answer them!

Simon :smile:
Reply 9
After careful consideration, I have narrowed down my choices to the following 3 universities:

1. Newcastle University (Fee - £15170)
2. The University of Glasgow (Fee - £21020)
3. The University of Liverpool (Fee - £17150)

I thought about various factors relevant to me and loved the course structure in all 3 of them. To me, all of them are on an equal footing at this point.

While Glasgow is an ancient university, ranked above the other two in almost all the rankings (in top 100), with perhaps an impressive brand name, I will be paying almost £5800 more than the Newcastle University. Will it be a wise decision? Does Glasgow warrant this extra money? How does Newcastle & Liverpool compare? How would you rank 3 of them?

P.S. - As an international student I can't visit any of these universities so please pardon my queries. It was a big effort in narrowing down the choice to 3. Hopefully, I can finally select 1 of them by next week :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending