AQA AS Level 3 Mathematical Studies Watch

Salt.
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Paper 1 exam discussion

How'd you guys find it?

I thought it was alright, but conflicting answers on the mortgage question. Did he have enough for the mortgage on the new salary?
Last edited by Salt.; 1 week ago
csawlani
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What answers did u get?
toffeesandwich
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
He did have enough because he was earning £291 more net per month. The only question that got me was the first question bcuz i couldn’t tell if it was qualitative bcuz it’s colours or quantitative bcuz she might be counting the colours.
Salt.
Rep:
?
I got that it was lower for that one, I must have messed something up which is frustrating.

The one about the colours was qualitative because she was recording the colours.
(Original post by csawlani)
What answers did u get?
(Original post by toffeesandwich)
He did have enough because he was earning £291 more net per month. The only question that got me was the first question bcuz i couldn’t tell if it was qualitative bcuz it’s colours or quantitative bcuz she might be counting the colours.
toffeesandwich
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Salt.)
I got that it was lower for that one, I must have messed something up which is frustrating.

The one about the colours was qualitative because she was recording the colours.
damn i thought it was a trick question, that’s what i put first but i changed it, definitely lost a mark there then
Salt.
Rep:
?
damn i thought it was a trick question, that’s what i put first but i changed it, definitely lost a mark there then
Unlucky but at least it was only a mark.

How'd you do on the motorway question and the question on student loans?
toffeesandwich
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Salt.)
Unlucky but at least it was only a mark.

How'd you do on the motorway question and the question on student loans?
Wait you might of been right for the mortgage one i just checked in my book and i realised i worked out the national insurance wrong :/ i think i did alright, i ended up with about £120,000,000 for the cost. and student loans i put £5 a month
Salt.
Rep:
?
Wait you might of been right for the mortgage one i just checked in my book and i realised i worked out the national insurance wrong :/ i think i did alright, i ended up with about £120,000,000 for the cost. and student loans i put £5 a month
Maybe, a lot of my mates got completely different answers to me though so maybe we both got it wrong. As for the Motorway question I got a huge number as well, was around £980,000,000 I think. I might have got that question wrong though because I was rushing it, I think I got the same answer for student loans. How long did you say the motorway was? I said 199 miles.
toffeesandwich
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Salt.)
Maybe, a lot of my mates got completely different answers to me though so maybe we both got it wrong. As for the Motorway question I got a huge number as well, was around £980,000,000 I think. I might have got that question wrong though because I was rushing it, I think I got the same answer for student loans. How long did you say the motorway was? I said 199 miles.
i said 190 miles, converted it to meters, and multiplied it by (3 * the width of the lanes) + hardshoulder width, and then multiplied all of that by 0.6 because it said the 3 lane part was just over half, then i did the same for the 4 lane part by multiplying the width by 4 for the 4 lanes and multiplied that by 0.4. and then i multiplied the whole result by 2 bcuz there’s 2 directions on the motorway.
DJGabriel1104
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How many participants were under 18 mins in that question or whatever it was?
toffeesandwich
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DJGabriel1104)
How many participants were under 18 mins in that question or whatever it was?
i think i got 20 something, i can’t remember
DJGabriel1104
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Was the student loan repayment January 2021 and like £63 something for his repayment
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
toffeesandwich
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DJGabriel1104)
Was the student loan repayment January 2021 and like £63 something for his repayment
year or monthly? bcuz i got around that for the whole year and then divided by 12 for monthly payments
Last edited by toffeesandwich; 1 week ago
DJGabriel1104
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
year or monthly?
His first yearly repayment or something, it was like 6% of how much money was over the £21000 threshold
DJGabriel1104
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Was the first question really qualitative? Literally such an ******* of a question in my opinion, I thought it was quantitative cus technically your counting the cars
Salt.
Rep:
?
i said 190 miles, converted it to meters, and multiplied it by (3 * the width of the lanes) + hardshoulder width, and then multiplied all of that by 0.6 because it said the 3 lane part was just over half, then i did the same for the 4 lane part by multiplying the width by 4 for the 4 lanes and multiplied that by 0.4. and then i multiplied the whole result by 2 bcuz there’s 2 directions on the motorway.
I did pretty much exactly the same except for multiplying the width by a decimal, I might have skim read that part.
csawlani
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I got lower as well because I believe you had to take the difference and it make to £190 pounds or something like that and then u had to say no he didn't have enough for the mortgage repayments. Students loans question, what did people get and yeah I put primary and qualitative for the first question.

(Original post by Salt.)

DJGabriel1104
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I got lower as well because I believe you had to take the difference and it make to £190 pounds or something like that and then u had to say no he didn't have enough for the mortgage repayments. Students loans question, what did people get and yeah I put primary and qualitative for the first question.
I thought he could afford the mortgage payments?
Salt.
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Yeah exactly, I hope we're right about that one haha

I can’t really remember what I put for the student loans question, I think it was a very low value though, something around £50-£100 a month if I remember correctly although I’m not too sure, it may have been less.
Last edited by Salt.; 6 days ago
syrettboy
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
If anyone remembers the question that talked about minimum amount needed to invest to get £20000 at 5.5% to 2 sig. figs., what did everyone get for that? That is a very conflicting question for the guys who took this paper where we are. Other than that, the paper was pretty good. I got that he could afford the mortgages for the tax question, probs between 50-100 for the student loan, dont remember tbh, and a big number that i dont remember for the M1 question.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA GCSE Physics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (352)
30.64%
The paper was reasonable (460)
40.03%
Not feeling great about that exam... (198)
17.23%
It was TERRIBLE (139)
12.1%

Watched Threads