CCEA - AS Level Unit 1 Maths, May 15th Watch

frawding
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Did anybody get question 7 or 9? I feel like question 9 was too confusing and ive never been asked to solve a cubic polynomial like that before.
mitosismeosis
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by frawding)
Did anybody get question 7 or 9? I feel like question 9 was too confusing and ive never been asked to solve a cubic polynomial like that before.
Essentially question 7 wanted you to manually apply the factor theorem, which was kinda stupid but you would've either brute forced all of the factors of 10, i.e. (x +/- 1), (x +/- 2) etc until the remainder was 0

Subbing in 2 gave you no remainder so (x-2) was a factor

Long division gave you a quadratic and you solved via the formula to get, iirc x = 2, -0.87 and 2.37

Instead of brute forcing the factors, my calculator can solve cubics so I typed the cubic in and one of the roots was x = 2, so I only proved via the factor theorem that f(2) = 0. Saved me a lot of time!

Question 9 was certainly one of the hardest questions they've ever set at AS level - and you had to know your trig very well.

Here's the way I did it - I wouldn't dwell on this paper, if you thought the rest was good, you'll be fine since the boundaries are usually lower for a new spec and because the last 2 questions caught most out
Attached files
frawding
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
Thanks man. I think I might have the same calculator, so i said f(2) = 0 as well, I wrote down the other two factors but I didn't really include that much working out, so I probably won't get many marks.
(Original post by mitosismeosis)
Essentially question 7 wanted you to manually apply the factor theorem, which was kinda stupid but you would've either brute forced all of the factors of 10, i.e. (x +/- 1), (x +/- 2) etc until the remainder was 0

Subbing in 2 gave you no remainder so (x-2) was a factor

Long division gave you a quadratic and you solved via the formula to get, iirc x = 2, -0.87 and 2.37

Instead of brute forcing the factors, my calculator can solve cubics so I typed the cubic in and one of the roots was x = 2, so I only proved via the factor theorem that f(2) = 0. Saved me a lot of time!

Question 9 was certainly one of the hardest questions they've ever set at AS level - and you had to know your trig very well.

Here's the way I did it - I wouldn't dwell on this paper, if you thought the rest was good, you'll be fine since the boundaries are usually lower for a new spec and because the last 2 questions caught most out
mitosismeosis
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by frawding)
Thanks man. I think I might have the same calculator, so i said f(2) = 0 as well, I wrote down the other two factors but I didn't really include that much working out, so I probably won't get many marks.
Classwiz squad unite !
orlab123
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Can anybody say what they got for question 8?
mitosismeosis
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by orlab123)
(a^3 + 2a, 0 ), something along the lines of that, and 1 +/- root 2 for a
frawding
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
I think I got that as well, it seems familiar.
OctoberRain7
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I got that as well, for 9b I got 7 which I’m pretty sure is right. I wouldn’t worry so much about 9 as it’s meant to be unreasonably difficult
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
mitosismeosis
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by OctoberRain7)
I got that as well, for 9b I got 7 which I’m pretty sure is right. I wouldn’t worry so much about 9 as it’s meant to be unreasonably difficult
Yep, I got 7 too!
Sarah2002bbby
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by orlab123)
plus minus 2 root 6 I think
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (194)
22.51%
The paper was reasonable (361)
41.88%
Not feeling great about that exam... (168)
19.49%
It was TERRIBLE (139)
16.13%

Watched Threads