pfeser
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am retaking my geography A-Level after getting a B last year. I need to get at least an A this year and I am kind of freaking out because every time I am answering a question it seems like I have taken the wrong approach and didn't answer the question properly according to the mark scheme, even when I am 100% sure I am taking the right approach. I mark my own answers since I don't have anyone else to mark them. I got an A in my physical last year, but I don't how, It's really stressing me out. Might geography be a subject where there isn't a particular approach and that im just marking my own answers incorrectly? I know it's a little late, but is there an experienced marker who could help me?
Last edited by pfeser; 1 year ago
thilly27
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hey I'm resitting too , but any tips on getting an A in physical like I'm finding it hard to evaluate.
DallasJ21
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I feel this exact way, I think you must remember the responses in the mark scheme are just guidelines, especially in the longer questions. Mainly your answer will be based upon your case study therefore it’s difficult for a model answer.
pfeser
Rep:
?
I follow the PEEL rule. Point, Explain, Evidence, Link for the 20 markers. The link is basically evaluating your point. The conclusion should come right at the end of the essay and should essentially sum up everything you have talked about and relate it back to the question. A tip is in your evaluation, mention TIME & SPATIAL SCALE, I can't stress it enough. If you can't fit it into your evaluation mention it in your conclusion. That's as many tips as I can give. Goodluck for next week!
(Original post by thilly27)
hey I'm resitting too , but any tips on getting an A in physical like I'm finding it hard to evaluate.
pfeser
Rep:
?
Oh, so you can make points not in the mark scheme? Even for the 4, 6, and 9 markers?
(Original post by DallasJ21)
I feel this exact way, I think you must remember the responses in the mark scheme are just guidelines, especially in the longer questions. Mainly your answer will be based upon your case study therefore it’s difficult for a model answer.
thilly27
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
thank you , if you have any examples of 20 or 12 markers please send it to me thank you
(Original post by pfeser)
I follow the PEEL rule. Point, Explain, Evidence, Link for the 20 markers. The link is basically evaluating your point. The conclusion should come right at the end of the essay and should essentially sum up everything you have talked about and relate it back to the question. A tip is in your evaluation, mention TIME & SPATIAL SCALE, I can't stress it enough. If you can't fit it into your evaluation mention it in your conclusion. That's as many tips as I can give. Goodluck for next week!
pfeser
Rep:
?
12 markers? Are you doing AQA A-Level? Because if so the CGP revision guide book has plenty or go on the AQA website and do some past papers.
thank you , if you have any examples of 20 or 12 markers please send it to me thank you
thilly27
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
oh I'm on edexcel but I'll look at past papers thanks again!!
thilly27
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
say if I had a question on assess the factors affecting the discharge in a drainage basin

my first point will be that physical factors such as the shape of the drainage basin affect the discharge
I would explain in bit of detail
I would evaluate this by saying in some places the shape of the drag basin is altered by human activities such as dreading , which leads to a narrower to basin so it fills up quickly during intense rainfall.

2nd point , I would talk about geology
and explain this
evaluate this by saying that urbanisation has lead to increase in impermeable surfaces so greater risk of flooding due to surface run -off

conclusion - physical factors influence the the river discharge, but these factors are exacerbated by human activities , which act as positive feedback systems in worsening the impact on the basin.

would this be fine ??

12 markers? Are you doing AQA A-Level? Because if so the CGP revision guide book has plenty or go on the AQA website and do some past papers.
pfeser
Rep:
?
I assume this is for a 12 marker? In AQA we dont have 12 markers. But if it is a 20 marker add an introduction defining the keyword/s (e.g. discharge) and quickly mention what you will be talking about (e.g. physical factors such as size, shape and human factors such as deforestation, land use changes and farming practices). And then add another point, aim for at least 3. But apart from that, the structure is very good of the paragraph is very good. This video does a perfect job of explaining how to structure your 20 markers. I assume the structure for 20 markers for Edexcel is the same as AQA.
say if I had a question on assess the factors affecting the discharge in a drainage basin

my first point will be that physical factors such as the shape of the drainage basin affect the discharge
I would explain in bit of detail
I would evaluate this by saying in some places the shape of the drag basin is altered by human activities such as dreading , which leads to a narrower to basin so it fills up quickly during intense rainfall.

2nd point , I would talk about geology
and explain this
evaluate this by saying that urbanisation has lead to increase in impermeable surfaces so greater risk of flooding due to surface run -off

conclusion - physical factors influence the the river discharge, but these factors are exacerbated by human activities , which act as positive feedback systems in worsening the impact on the basin.

would this be fine ??
thilly27
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yeah kinda thank you
I assume this is for a 12 marker? In AQA we dont have 12 markers. But if it is a 20 marker add an introduction defining the keyword/s (e.g. discharge) and quickly mention what you will be talking about (e.g. physical factors such as size, shape and human factors such as deforestation, land use changes and farming practices). And then add another point, aim for at least 3. But apart from that, the structure is very good of the paragraph is very good. This video does a perfect job of explaining how to structure your 20 markers. I assume the structure for 20 markers for Edexcel is the same as AQA.
pfeser
Rep:
?
Oh ops! i forgot to add the link--> https://snaprevise.co.uk/courses/49/...ts/video/20013
yeah kinda thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (288)
55.71%
I don't have everything I need (229)
44.29%

Watched Threads