can universities withdraw their unconditional offers? Watch

km2k01
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
i’ve heard rumours that if you don’t do very well then they can withdraw their offers even after you’ve accepted it. I know they can take them back if there’s an error / you lied on your UCAS application but can they withdraw them for not passing? it kinda goes against the whole point of unconditionals that you get in no matter what, but i’ve heard of incidents where unis have taken one back after the student either dropped out of A levels or did really badly. Can that happen?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
swanseajack1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by km2k01)
i’ve heard rumours that if you don’t do very well then they can withdraw their offers even after you’ve accepted it. I know they can take them back if there’s an error / you lied on your UCAS application but can they withdraw them for not passing? it kinda goes against the whole point of unconditionals that you get in no matter what, but i’ve heard of incidents where unis have taken one back after the student either dropped out of A levels or did really badly. Can that happen?
It depends on what the university states on their offer. If they state you must pass then they can reject. If it is unconditional they cannot withdraw it provided you sit the exams you stated on your UCAS application. If you drop a subject you stated you are taking they can cancel your offer. You have to take the exams you claimed you would.
SarcAndSpark
  • Careers Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by km2k01)
It's a bit of a grey area, but if you don't sit a qualification, universities can argue that the information you've presented isn't correct and so withdraw their offer. If you sit all exams, they should honour it. However, there may be situations where if a candidate has done very very badly, someone from the uni has an honest talk with the candidate about whether they will actually cope with the course.

But they have to honour their offer if you sit all your exams- if you end up in this sort of situation, UCAS should put pressure on the uni to accept you.
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Just sit your exams in a responsible and calculated fashion. Realising that depending on your career in the future, you may want to be armed with some good A levels for the job hunt. Various prestigious careers sort out those with less than AAB or ABB.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...