My predicted grades are low bht can I still get into a chemical engineerimg uni Watch

Harw12
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I dont know my exact predicted grades but it will be between AAB to ABB or if my teachers hate me a loy ABC. I wan to do Meng chemical engineering course but I got told I will need AAA for that. I dont know if I can beg my teachers to change it or how . I do know that if you apply for a Beng course the requirements are abit lower but I really want to do Meng lmao. I have heard you can transfer to Meng if you get 60% or higher in you first and second year but im not sure. I am literally lost and dont know what to do.😵
Harw12
Rep:
?
Bump
She-Ra
  • TSR Community Staff
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Harw12)
I dont know my exact predicted grades but it will be between AAB to ABB or if my teachers hate me a loy ABC. I wan to do Meng chemical engineering course but I got told I will need AAA for that. I dont know if I can beg my teachers to change it or how . I do know that if you apply for a Beng course the requirements are abit lower but I really want to do Meng lmao. I have heard you can transfer to Meng if you get 60% or higher in you first and second year but im not sure. I am literally lost and dont know what to do.😵
The best thing to do is check out some university websites and look at their engineering courses and find out what their grade requirements are. That way you will know for sure and can make a plan
swanseajack1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I have just checked and Swansea University require AAB-ABB for Meng in both Chemical and Mechanical Engineering. I am sure there will be other too if you do your research. It is highly likely they would accept ABC on results day but nobody can guarantee that
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
It is true what you say about the Beng (at most unis, at least) so if you don't get the grades for the Meng it is worth considering going down that route. Also, you won't need AAA to apply for the Meng at every uni - so why don't you have a uni with a lower entry requirement as your Insurance choice?
MongoDB
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Honestly mate, pretty much all engineering degrees are fully accredited; unless you are thinking of going into finance/consultancy or the like, the university you attend does not even matter much. I'd take a degree in Chemical Engineering from London Southbank 100 times out of 100 over a history degree from Oxbridge.
Harw12
Rep:
?
How do I find out if some universities do allow that. The reason why I really need to get into a good university is firstly because no other uni that offers anything less than an AAA are near me. They are mostly 6 hours drive or even in another country. Secondly my parents are extremely strict and therefore expects me to enter a good university. Yes, they are asian parents 😔
(Original post by harrysbar)
It is true what you say about the Beng (at most unis, at least) so if you don't get the grades for the Meng it is worth considering going down that route. Also, you won't need AAA to apply for the Meng at every uni - so why don't you have a uni with a lower entry requirement as your Insurance choice?
pawełzgdzieś
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by MongoDB)
Honestly mate, pretty much all engineering degrees are fully accredited; unless you are thinking of going into finance/consultancy or the like, the university you attend does not even matter much. I'd take a degree in Chemical Engineering from London Southbank 100 times out of 100 over a history degree from Oxbridge.
Very true comment. Although your projected grades might be too low for the universities of your dreams, there are ways to get around this. #1 Even if your grades are not ideal, you could still try applying to the university you want to be in. Universities are not always interested solely in grades as there are always some that would like to test your attitude as well. Sometimes attitude (i.e. showing that you care about your studies and you want to learn) can be just as good as grades. So, apply, see if they would accept you, if not, then you lose nothing anyway. But #2, in parallel, start searching for other universities and applying to them.

Personally, I have studied at what would be termed one of the top universities in the 1% category and to be honest, it was a terrible experience. Only one of my lecturers out of the whole staff had the knowledge and confidence to teach, the rest were borderline and rather malicious if I asked them uncomfortable questions (e.g. difficult problems from textbook, concerns with concealment of grades), the social atmosphere was atrocious and for what my family was paying it was simply not worth it. If you want to get into a certain university because it is said to be the top or something like that, do not fall for it. In certain cases, a university that seems to be ordinary can be just as good or better than a university which claims to have top-notch qualities in teaching or whatever.

Please keep in mind that it is often a practice of students to apply to multiple universities at once, and then see which offer comes through. Many times, students not only apply to multiple universities but with courses that vary from their initially chosen courses. For example, a student interested in Biotechnology may apply for biochemistry, biomedical sciences or something related to maximise their chances of obtaining something that they would like to do.
Last edited by pawełzgdzieś; 6 days ago
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
What do you call good universities. How close to home do you need to be. What part of the uk do you live. Many people travel miles for university and stay away. You might be placing restrictions for yourself.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
How do I find out if some universities do allow that. The reason why I really need to get into a good university is firstly because no other uni that offers anything less than an AAA are near me. They are mostly 6 hours drive or even in another country. Secondly my parents are extremely strict and therefore expects me to enter a good university. Yes, they are asian parents 😔
If they do a Beng and an Meng they will pretty much always allow movement between the two, depending on performance in Years 1 & 2. Many will explicitly state it on their websites, but if they don't, phone or email their Admissions office and ask them.

Some good unis that ask for AAA (or even A*AA) will accept lower grades in reality - Southampton, for example, is often in Clearing for Engineering. I would look closely at which unis are in Clearing this year for Chem Eng as this will give you an idea which ones are likely to be a bit flexible with their grades next year.
Harw12
Rep:
?
A russel group university is what I am aiming for. I live near Brimingham and I l dont expect to travel all the way to swansea or anything further. London universities are just a NO because I really cant pay for the expensive accomidations
(Original post by swanseajack1)
What do you call good universities. How close to home do you need to be. What part of the uk do you live. Many people travel miles for university and stay away. You might be placing restrictions for yourself.
drippy_y2s
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
my guy if you look at level 2 courses you just need 3 gcses grade 9-3 which is easy
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
A russel group university is what I am aiming for. I live near Brimingham and I l dont expect to travel all the way to swansea or anything further. London universities are just a NO because I really cant pay for the expensive accomidations
Birmingham uni itself accepts people with ABB onto the Beng (for mechanical engineering anyway) and allows people to transfer from Beng to Meng, but there will be others doing so too
MongoDB
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I've heard the University of Birmingham is absurdly generous at the moment when it comes to giving out unconditional offers.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I've heard the University of Birmingham is absurdly generous at the moment when it comes to giving out unconditional offers.
It's normally the case that they will give them out to people predicted AAA in certain subjects such as Engineering and many others
MongoDB
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
It's normally the case that they will give them out to people predicted AAA in certain subjects such as Engineering and many others
Yeah, that's what I heard. Something like "if you've got AAA predicted an unconditional is essentially guaranteed".
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Yeah, that's what I heard. Something like "if you've got AAA predicted an unconditional is essentially guaranteed".
Yup, and they list the subjects they give unconditional offers for on their website
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
You will find it very difficult to get what you want at your grades. Looking in the midlands maybe Aston or Loughborough might be worth looking at if you drop your RG plans. Loughborough is better than many RG for Engineering. Swansea is 3 hours train journey from Birmingham or 150 miles by road. It isnt that far away. It certainly isnt the other side of the world.
Last edited by swanseajack1; 6 days ago
MongoDB
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Regardless, you can get to pretty damn reputable universities through clearing/adjustment. I go to Bath and one of my good mates is studying electrical engineering here who got in through clearing, think he got AAB? Plenty of people round here who got ABB studying engineering (although there's no shortage of people with A*AA - A*A*A* either). Can't imagine it's much different at the universities you've been looking at. Required grades have really been inflated the past few years, it's almost comical reading some of them.
Last edited by MongoDB; 6 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (535)
26.35%
The paper was reasonable (884)
43.55%
Not feeling great about that exam (397)
19.56%
It was TERRIBLE (214)
10.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise