Undergraduate Exams Watch

Thanicos
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this. I couldn't quite find anywhere else that seemed appropriate.

I'm finishing up a BSc in Wildlife Ecology and Conservation. I have to say I struggle with anxiety and stress and with the finals coming up I don't feel too great. What's worrying me is that my assignment grades lie around the 68-78% mark and though I'm pretty happy with my performance on the course one fact is crushing me. I need to pass everything. I struggle severely with data analysis. It's by far my weakest skill. The issue is I have an exam entirely dedicated to data analysis and I don't think I'm going to pass it. It just seems ludicrous to me that I can do 99.9% of the course with 2:1-1st grades and yet this one exam will determine whether or not I get the degree. It's soul crushing to realise that I could waste 3 hard years of my life all because of one exam. I could know as much as the next person about my subject area but just because my brain doesn't handle data well, especially in an exam situation--even though it has no relevance to the job I want to do--I will get literally nothing for all my hard work... It almost doesn't seem right, illogical even. I suppose my question is whether or not you can still get a degree without having to pass everything. I already know the answer but I'm meekly asking here just to give me at least some hope. Is there some mechanism in place? It's just too much to know that a single failure means absolute, binary failure in every single aspect of the course.
Last edited by Thanicos; 6 days ago
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Thanicos)
Apologies if this is the wrong place to post this. I couldn't quite find anywhere else that seemed appropriate.

I'm finishing up a BSc in Wildlife Ecology and Conservation. I have to say I struggle with anxiety and stress and with the finals coming up I don't feel too great. What's worrying me is that my assignment grades lie around the 68-78% mark and though I'm pretty happy with my performance on the course one fact is crushing me. I need to pass everything. I struggle severely with data analysis. It's by far my weakest skill. The issue is I have an exam entirely dedicated to data analysis and I don't think I'm going to pass it. It just seems ludicrous to me that I can do 99.9% of the course with 2:1-1st grades and yet this one exam will determine whether or not I get the degree. It's soul crushing to realise that I could waste 3 hard years of my life all because of one exam. I could know as much as the next person about my subject area but just because my brain doesn't handle data well, especially in an exam situation--even though it has no relevance to the job I want to do--I will get literally nothing for all my hard work... It almost doesn't seem right, illogical even. I suppose my question is whether or not you can still get a degree without having to pass everything. I already know the answer but I'm meekly asking here just to give me at least some hope. Is there some mechanism in place? It's just too much to know that a single failure means absolute, binary failure in every single aspect of the course.
Have you not checked your degree regulations regarding this?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
She-Ra
  • TSR Community Staff
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago

I've moved this to uni-life
sinfonietta
  • Life & Style Forum Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Is this exam worth an entire module grade or did coursework factor in? What percentage do you need in the exam to simply pass it?
jonathanemptage
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago

You can as long as you get 360 CATS you'll get your degree even if you fail a unit you can pass the unit in a few ways:
1/ A compensated pass if you just fail by like 5% or less and you have an exam where you scored more than 40% like 50 or 60 or whatever the uni can use those marks to compensate for the bad mark so you still pass.
2/ You got 50 or more in most things but failed 1 unit you might still get a 3rd and they might offer you a resit to bump up your grade if your close (I did this)
3/ Resit the unit in the summer.
4/ Resit the unit the next year
That's all I've got hope I helped
Last edited by jonathanemptage; 5 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How are you feeling ahead of this paper?

Feeling positive! (10)
11.49%
Okay. Just a little more work... (27)
31.03%
Not feeling great (29)
33.33%
Send URGENT HELP!!! (21)
24.14%

Watched Threads