The Student Room Group

Help with GCSE Chemistry exam question, please

This is a question from the Higher Tier WJEC-CBAC Chemistry sample Paper 2:

GCSE CHEMISTRY Sample Assessment Materials 121

4. (a) On Anglesey, there is a large copper mine called Parys Mountain. Unwanted rock from the mining process has been dumped forming waste tips. As rainwater passes through the waste tips it dissolves copper salts. One of the salts is copper(II) sulfate.

During the 18th century, large shallow pits were dug all over the mountain. These filled with rainwater. Scrap iron was placed into the water and after a few months the pits were drained and copper-rich sludge was collected.

Explain the reaction taking place in the pits. Give the names of the products formed. [3]

The model answer gives:

Iron is more reactive than copper (1)
Displacement reaction occurs / iron displaces the copper (1)

Products iron(III) oxide and copper (1)
Accept iron oxide

I don't understand this answer. Please explain it for me - the exam's tomorrow!
Because iron is higher than copper on the reactivity series it will, essentially, steal the oxygen away from the copper to make iron oxide. Its called a displacement reaction as the iron displaces the copper next to the oxygen - sort of like a bully stealing away someone's friends, if you will. (They just use all that fancy context at the start to confuse you). The products are Iron (III) oxide and copper because: copper oxide and iron = iron oxide and copper - CuO and Fe = FeO and Cu. I hope this makes sense, I've got my exam tomorrow too x
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest