Fourth AS grade affecting strength of application? Watch

anakarinas
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
so i’m currently taking my AS exams in physics, biology, maths and further maths but i’m not planning on taking further maths on to A2. If i got a lower than average AS grade in further maths (as a fourth subject) will it affect my application to any russell group unis negatively?

as in, will they look at any 4th subject AS grades and decline me based on bad predictions (e.g. a C grade when the rest are A grades) if i’m dropping it at the end of this academic year ??
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
swanseajack1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
It might affect Imperial or Oxbridge but it is not likely to affect other RG universities as offers are made on 3 A levels
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by anakarinas)
so i’m currently taking my AS exams in physics, biology, maths and further maths but i’m not planning on taking further maths on to A2. If i got a lower than average AS grade in further maths (as a fourth subject) will it affect my application to any russell group unis negatively?

as in, will they look at any 4th subject AS grades and decline me based on bad predictions (e.g. a C grade when the rest are A grades) if i’m dropping it at the end of this academic year ??
They are not likey to decline you based on a 4th A level that they don't require, but it may be a cause for concern if the courses you are applying for are very maths heavy?
anakarinas
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
They are not likey to decline you based on a 4th A level that they don't require, but it may be a cause for concern if the courses you are applying for are very maths heavy?
nope! mainly looking at biology/biomed, the 4th AS is just compulsory at my sixth form
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
nope! mainly looking at biology/biomed, the 4th AS is just compulsory at my sixth form
Oh I see, daft school

It won't matter then and it makes good sense to drop the subject you are weakest at and concentrate on the other three
anakarinas
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
Oh I see, daft school

It won't matter then and it makes good sense to drop the subject you are weakest at and concentrate on the other three
phew that’s what i was thinking, just wasn’t sure if they’d care about any predictions for a subject i’m literally about to drop !
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
phew that’s what i was thinking, just wasn’t sure if they’d care about any predictions for a subject i’m literally about to drop !
I think people over estimate how competitive most Russell Group Unis are. If you're predicted 3 good A levels (and you also have one average A/S level in a non relevant subject) they will consider you an excellent candidate
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (127)
24.66%
The paper was reasonable (227)
44.08%
Not feeling great about that exam (100)
19.42%
It was TERRIBLE (61)
11.84%

Watched Threads