High paid jobs Watch

Revision Boiii
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
I’m in my first year of A-levels and I’m doing A-level physics, chemistry and Maths. I’m particularly interested is physics (astronomy) but it’s not a ‘well paid’ job. I don’t have any knowledge on careers from chemistry and maths. But I am interested in chemistry and maths.

What are high paid jobs that I can take from doing A-level physics, chemistry and maths?

I want to earn this much at the later period of my career :
More than £70,000 (minimum I say)
More than £100,000 (I’ll be so happy with this)
More than £200,000? - (Does a job paying that much amount of money exist? 😂)
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Revision Boiii
Rep:
?
Also I know money isn’t everything, but I want a high paying job to get the things I like and live a comfortable life
shadowdweller
  • Volunteer Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I would stress the importance of finding a job you like, as well as one that pays well - yes, it's great to have money to buy the things you like, but a job is something you have to do 5 days a week, for most of your life; if you don't enjoy your job, that sounds like a pretty miserable time to me!
ltsmith
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
More than £70,000 (minimum I say) - professors, software engineers at FAANG/top companies, accountants at big-4, solicitors, GPs, dentists
More than £100,000 (I’ll be so happy with this) - top solicitors/barristers, surgeons, GP partners, contract software engineers in london, partners at big-4 accounting firms
More than £200,000? - (Does a job paying that much amount of money exist? 😂) - VP at an investment banking division in a front-office role, hedge fund managers.
Acsel
  • Entertainment Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Revision Boiii)
Why these amounts in particular? How do these numbers translate into buying the things you want and having a high quality of life? Especially later in life, when you have not only given up the prime years to enjoy the things you want, but when you likely have totally different values in the first place?

Don't base all your decisions nowadays on what you want at the end of your life.
Gent2324
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
would you be prepared to be self employed?
Revision Boiii
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gent2324)
No
Revision Boiii
Rep:
?
(Original post by Acsel)
Why these amounts in particular? How do these numbers translate into buying the things you want and having a high quality of life? Especially later in life, when you have not only given up the prime years to enjoy the things you want, but when you likely have totally different values in the first place?

Don't base all your decisions nowadays on what you want at the end of your life.
I know, I want to know what careers there are for me to choose.
But I want to buy a nice house, a car, nice clothes and food - you know like the basic things
Last edited by Revision Boiii; 4 days ago
Gent2324
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
No
your options are limited then, very limited.
Revision Boiii
Rep:
?
(Original post by ltsmith)
More than £70,000 (minimum I say) - professors, software engineers at FAANG/top companies, accountants at big-4, solicitors, GPs, dentists
More than £100,000 (I’ll be so happy with this) - top solicitors/barristers, surgeons, GP partners, contract software engineers in london, partners at big-4 accounting firms
More than £200,000? - (Does a job paying that much amount of money exist? 😂) - VP at an investment banking division in a front-office role, hedge fund managers.
Thank you! It seems that most high paid jobs are in business and medical sector which i can’t choose
Last edited by Revision Boiii; 4 days ago
ltsmith
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by shadowdweller)
I would stress the importance of finding a job you like, as well as one that pays well - yes, it's great to have money to buy the things you like, but a job is something you have to do 5 days a week, for most of your life; if you don't enjoy your job, that sounds like a pretty miserable time to me!
but some of us want to buy houses in nice areas and have big families
Rid The Kid
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
lawyer in an american firm based in central London=big bucks
shadowdweller
  • Volunteer Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by ltsmith)
but some of us want to buy houses in nice areas and have big families
Granted, but that doesn't mean you can't find a balance between good income, and good quality of life (from a work perspective). So yes, if salary needs to be a bigger factor for an individual, it can be, but there are well paid options that offer more enjoyment than an option that might have a slightly higher pay.
ltsmith
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by shadowdweller)
Granted, but that doesn't mean you can't find a balance between good income, and good quality of life (from a work perspective). So yes, if salary needs to be a bigger factor for an individual, it can be, but there are well paid options that offer more enjoyment than an option that might have a slightly higher pay.
if you find a job that is in a field you enjoy and is very highly paid you are blessed but it's often a rare combo
ltsmith
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
No
you're very unlikely to break the 100k+ mark in an employed role unless you're working in high finance.
Acsel
  • Entertainment Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I know, I want to know what careers there are for me to choose.
But I want to buy a nice house, a car, nice clothes and food - you know like the basic things
The point I was making was why these figures specifically though. They're totally arbitrary. Why a minimum of 70K, rather than 60K or 80K? The numbers themselves are totally meaningless, and indeed the things you've mentioned here, while very subjective, don't necessarily require the sort of money you're talking about. Food doesn't cost £70K a year.

Trying to choose a career based on what it pays is typically a recipe for disaster. Money can be a strong motivator, but it often isn't enough to get people doing the hard stuff. If you are aiming to be the top of a field, where these salaries may exist, you'll quickly find yourself outperformed by the people who are passionate about what they're doing. The same is true for well paying jobs that have nothing to do with being the best (entreprenurship, being the boss, etc.). Money as a motivator doesn't cut it when you're putting in 16 hour days.

You can have a comfortable life on a fairly average salary, the sort of thing you could easily build up over time without a dedicated career. You could spend 10-15 years working in retail, start hitting fairly well paid positions and live comfortably on that. But odds are most people would find that incredibly boring and unfulfilling.

There are literally hundreds of careers to choose from, and trying to recommend one is like asking "how long is a piece of string". Look at the things you are interested in, see what sort of careers they could lead to and go from there. And if the job you like doesn't pay well enough, think about what you can do about that. You can earn enough money to have a comfortable lifestyle, completely independently of your career choice. Looking at data on the National Careers Service, an astronomer is typically paid between £15K and £60K dependent on experience. That £60K is awfully close to your arbitrary minimum of £70K, and probably more than enough to live on comfortably. If that's something that interests you, consider it. The average UK wage is only something like £30K, to demand a higher salary you have to be worth the money.
Rabbit2
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I’m in my first year of A-levels and I’m doing A-level physics, chemistry and Maths. I’m particularly interested is physics (astronomy) but it’s not a ‘well paid’ job. I don’t have any knowledge on careers from chemistry and maths. But I am interested in chemistry and maths.

What are high paid jobs that I can take from doing A-level physics, chemistry and maths?

IMHO, your best bet to 'ring the bell' that loudly, is in software development. My background is: I hold a MSEE in electrical engineering from an accredited US uni, and have lived in 14 countries doing engineering for my customers - who were the US Federal government for a while, then private industry. As to which particular area of IT to 'get into' - consumer based apps - with a large potential consumer base - seem to 'pay off' the best. Starting a firm like Google, Facebook, or something like that, can pay large benefits. First you have to learn to write software, and acquire some 'associates' who can help you, and share in the benefits.
You can also do fairly well developing 'specialty' programs for things like oil well exploration, building and bridge design, road design, etc. The problems with those areas, is that the customer base is not as large, and - while the programs generally sell for much more money, due to the reduced customer base, your profits (return on investment) will not be as great. You still should be able to make the 70kquid to 100kquid range though. When I effectively retired a few years ago, I was making just under $100,000 - which is fairly close to your target. At that time, I was mostly doing satellite earth terminal design [the transmit/receive stations that communicate with earth satellites. These installations cost about $2 million to $10 million - for a small - medium terminal. I would be responsible for the equipment design of the communications part of the terminal. Normally, I would not be involved in the building construction/design - but at times I was.

Pure chemistry & math(s) careers that pay that sort of money are few and far between in my experience. One problem being that a 'pure' mathematician, or 'pure' chemist, will not have the business experience or entrepreneurial experience to put together a 'business plan' to get a company started. In order to attract venture capital & start/run a company, you need 'people skills' - that frankly, I don't have. That, however, is where the real money is. Somebody like Allen Shugart [hard drives], Wozniak & Steve Jobs [Apple Computer], Billy (the software thief) Gates [Microshaft], and other such people have those skills. The advantages that they also had, was that they had a large (very large) customer base - and that's where you make the large bucks. Best of luck!!!
Jamesman1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Pharmacist
random_matt
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Following money, you will not be successful in life.
yotsr123
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Gent2324)
I am! Why?
Last edited by yotsr123; 4 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (77)
16.21%
The paper was reasonable (238)
50.11%
Not feeling great about that exam... (112)
23.58%
It was TERRIBLE (48)
10.11%

Watched Threads