The Student Room Group

Guys I’m scared help meeee

So basically I’m doing A-level physics, chem, maths and I’m in my first year. All of my friends know where they are going to uni and I’m scared because I don’t know anything about uni and stuff and I don’t have the slightest idea on applying to uni. This keeps me up at night and I’m having a panic attack right now omggg like, I want to go to a good university and I don’t have any idea on which is know for what and there are so many universities with so many course I don’t know what to choose and I can’t seem to find and info online and omg open days are coming up and I need to decide on which ones to go please please pls help me what are good universities you recommend for physics chemistry and maths? And uhhh I’m thinking applying to oxford but I don’t think I’ll get A* and there are people who are smarter than me but I really want to go to oxford but it’s the only uni I know maybe that’s why but pls help omg sorry for making you read all this but I’m having a panic attack pls help :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Revision Boiii
So basically I’m doing A-level physics, chem, maths and I’m in my first year. All of my friends know where they are going to uni and I’m scared because I don’t know anything about uni and stuff and I don’t have the slightest idea on applying to uni. This keeps me up at night and I’m having a panic attack right now omggg like, I want to go to a good university and I don’t have any idea on which is know for what and there are so many universities with so many course I don’t know what to choose and I can’t seem to find and info online and omg open days are coming up and I need to decide on which ones to go please please pls help me what are good universities you recommend for physics chemistry and maths? And uhhh I’m thinking applying to oxford but I don’t think I’ll get A* and there are people who are smarter than me but I really want to go to oxford but it’s the only uni I know maybe that’s why but pls help omg sorry for making you read all this but I’m having a panic attack pls help :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

How are you doing, still panicking?
Original post by JuliusDS92
How are you doing, still panicking?

Yea :frown:
Your sixth form should have some sort of guidance person for university applications. Speak to them or at least speak to your tutor for advice on this. What year are you in?
Also, this website https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?o=Student+Satisfaction&s=History lets you look at the best universities for your subject and how you want to look at them, for example, student satisfaction, entry standards, research quality. It's on there all on there.
This website https://exploria.co.uk can also help when writing a personal statement.
(edited 4 years ago)
I’d recommend first getting a general idea of what course you want to do: natural sciences, physics, chemistry, maths etc, whatever you like best.

If you can’t decide, consider doing work experience in some of the fields, or reading books, watching videos, documentaries etc to see which area you are most intrigued in. Try checking out some university syllabuses too and see which topics you might like to study further.

Once you have done this, then it’s time to look at universities. Look at the league tables for science and pick out a few. Then look at their websites at their scheme of work, student satisfaction rates and teaching styles. The next step would be to look at open days to go to see the university in person. Hopefully by the end of all that, you’ll have a much better idea of what you want to do.

At the risk of sounding cliche, everyone takes different times to decide what they want to do. And your university course doesn’t set in concrete your entire career - internships and other work experience later on in life might put you on a different path.

Hope this helps 😊
I’ll try to speak to them. I’m in year 12
Original post by 152mmOfDerp
Your sixth form should have some sort of guidance person for university applications. Speak to them or at least speak to your tutor for advice on this. What year are you in?
Omg thank you so much! Great advice :biggrin: :jumphug: I’ll look into those :smile:
Original post by _.angelica._
I’d recommend first getting a general idea of what course you want to do: natural sciences, physics, chemistry, maths etc, whatever you like best.

If you can’t decide, consider doing work experience in some of the fields, or reading books, watching videos, documentaries etc to see which area you are most intrigued in. Try checking out some university syllabuses too and see which topics you might like to study further.

Once you have done this, then it’s time to look at universities. Look at the league tables for science and pick out a few. Then look at their websites at their scheme of work, student satisfaction rates and teaching styles. The next step would be to look at open days to go to see the university in person. Hopefully by the end of all that, you’ll have a much better idea of what you want to do.

At the risk of sounding cliche, everyone takes different times to decide what they want to do. And your university course doesn’t set in concrete your entire career - internships and other work experience later on in life might put you on a different path.

Hope this helps 😊
Hey, no problem! 🤠
Reply 9
using 'what uni' can also be helpful it compares unis by your chosen course. You can always take a gap year to figure it out. Plus you shouldn't worry too much you are stil in your first year you haave plenty of time to figure it out. Also don't rush yoourself into something you are not so sure about your ideas might change. At the beginning of year 12 I wanted to do marketing and ended up changing my decison very last minute.
Reply 10
i would say focus on what subject you want to suty at uni and then you can always compare unis by their rankings.
Reply 11
Original post by amlas
i would say focus on what subject you want to suty at uni and then you can always compare unis by their rankings.

This was posted in May 2019... he's finished his A-levels by now. Rankings aren't that useful a way of comparing unis anyway.
Reply 12
Original post by Sinnoh
This was posted in May 2019... he's finished his A-levels by now. Rankings aren't that useful a way of comparing unis anyway.

lol. I didn't realise that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending