Shibu the Doge
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
So basically I’m doing A-level physics, chem, maths and I’m in my first year. All of my friends know where they are going to uni and I’m scared because I don’t know anything about uni and stuff and I don’t have the slightest idea on applying to uni. This keeps me up at night and I’m having a panic attack right now omggg like, I want to go to a good university and I don’t have any idea on which is know for what and there are so many universities with so many course I don’t know what to choose and I can’t seem to find and info online and omg open days are coming up and I need to decide on which ones to go please please pls help me what are good universities you recommend for physics chemistry and maths? And uhhh I’m thinking applying to oxford but I don’t think I’ll get A* and there are people who are smarter than me but I really want to go to oxford but it’s the only uni I know maybe that’s why but pls help omg sorry for making you read all this but I’m having a panic attack pls help
Last edited by Shibu the Doge; 10 months ago
JuliusDS92
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Revision Boiii)
So basically I’m doing A-level physics, chem, maths and I’m in my first year. All of my friends know where they are going to uni and I’m scared because I don’t know anything about uni and stuff and I don’t have the slightest idea on applying to uni. This keeps me up at night and I’m having a panic attack right now omggg like, I want to go to a good university and I don’t have any idea on which is know for what and there are so many universities with so many course I don’t know what to choose and I can’t seem to find and info online and omg open days are coming up and I need to decide on which ones to go please please pls help me what are good universities you recommend for physics chemistry and maths? And uhhh I’m thinking applying to oxford but I don’t think I’ll get A* and there are people who are smarter than me but I really want to go to oxford but it’s the only uni I know maybe that’s why but pls help omg sorry for making you read all this but I’m having a panic attack pls help
How are you doing, still panicking?
Shibu the Doge
Rep:
?
(Original post by JuliusDS92)
How are you doing, still panicking?
Yea
152mmOfDerp
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Your sixth form should have some sort of guidance person for university applications. Speak to them or at least speak to your tutor for advice on this. What year are you in?
chadwickhana
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Also, this website https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...tion&s=History lets you look at the best universities for your subject and how you want to look at them, for example, student satisfaction, entry standards, research quality. It's on there all on there.
This website https://exploria.co.uk can also help when writing a personal statement.
Last edited by chadwickhana; 10 months ago
_.angelica._
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I’d recommend first getting a general idea of what course you want to do: natural sciences, physics, chemistry, maths etc, whatever you like best.

If you can’t decide, consider doing work experience in some of the fields, or reading books, watching videos, documentaries etc to see which area you are most intrigued in. Try checking out some university syllabuses too and see which topics you might like to study further.

Once you have done this, then it’s time to look at universities. Look at the league tables for science and pick out a few. Then look at their websites at their scheme of work, student satisfaction rates and teaching styles. The next step would be to look at open days to go to see the university in person. Hopefully by the end of all that, you’ll have a much better idea of what you want to do.

At the risk of sounding cliche, everyone takes different times to decide what they want to do. And your university course doesn’t set in concrete your entire career - internships and other work experience later on in life might put you on a different path.

Hope this helps 😊
Shibu the Doge
Rep:
?
I’ll try to speak to them. I’m in year 12
(Original post by 152mmOfDerp)
Your sixth form should have some sort of guidance person for university applications. Speak to them or at least speak to your tutor for advice on this. What year are you in?
Shibu the Doge
Rep:
?
Omg thank you so much! Great advice :jumphug: I’ll look into those
(Original post by _.angelica._)
I’d recommend first getting a general idea of what course you want to do: natural sciences, physics, chemistry, maths etc, whatever you like best.

If you can’t decide, consider doing work experience in some of the fields, or reading books, watching videos, documentaries etc to see which area you are most intrigued in. Try checking out some university syllabuses too and see which topics you might like to study further.

Once you have done this, then it’s time to look at universities. Look at the league tables for science and pick out a few. Then look at their websites at their scheme of work, student satisfaction rates and teaching styles. The next step would be to look at open days to go to see the university in person. Hopefully by the end of all that, you’ll have a much better idea of what you want to do.

At the risk of sounding cliche, everyone takes different times to decide what they want to do. And your university course doesn’t set in concrete your entire career - internships and other work experience later on in life might put you on a different path.

Hope this helps 😊
_.angelica._
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hey, no problem! 🤠
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (160)
15.55%
Uncertainty around my education (167)
16.23%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (98)
9.52%
Isolating with family (71)
6.9%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (38)
3.69%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (90)
8.75%
Loneliness (102)
9.91%
Financial worries (46)
4.47%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (94)
9.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (73)
7.09%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (90)
8.75%

Watched Threads