The Student Room Group

AQA english literature paper 1

GCSE 2019- I did Macbeth and Jekyll and Hyde
How was it guys?
Did you find it easy?
What ideas did you write about and include?
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It was alright. we do Romeo and Juliet and An Inspector Calls. I waffled loads so idk. English is my weakest out of all the core subjects so ill be alright with a 6
Original post by FaseehaN
It was alright. we do Romeo and Juliet and An Inspector Calls. I waffled loads so idk. English is my weakest out of all the core subjects so ill be alright with a 6

That’s great!
I mean at then end of the day it is based on waffling.
What question did you get for an inspector calls?
What gateway do you do?
I hope you do well.
I feel so relieved it’s done I can throw my books away and never reread them again!
bloody easy for contextual theories carl jung , charles darwin and the main man stevenson himself for j and h. For Macbeth all about early jacobeand and late elizabethan regicide and different ideas about macbeth becoming consumed and driven to use violence to achieve his aims....
Reply 4
In my opinion the questions were the most obvious questions you could choose for macbeth and J+H
Just a question mate, I did that too and I just resides I forgot context, how many marks do I lose for not including context?
Original post by Dayoestfort
How was it guys?
Did you find it easy?

Original post by FaseehaN
Guys my intro:
Something about violence being a fluid status that can easily fade away...and how it incorporates physical as well as metaphorical means.....and somehow linked it to Jacobean era, macbeth and shakespeare

Does that even make sense.....cuz I'm aiming for a 7!!
Original post by Traviscashx
Just a question mate, I did that too and I just resides I forgot context, how many marks do I lose for not including context?

The whole AO3 bar in the mark scheme
If you have NO context you get 0 marks for context, I think that the context is either 4 or 8 marks but I’m not sure
Reply 8
Original post by Zoeyyyyyyyy
Guys my intro:
Something about violence being a fluid status that can easily fade away...and how it incorporates physical as well as metaphorical means.....and somehow linked it to Jacobean era, macbeth and shakespeare

Does that even make sense.....cuz I'm aiming for a 7!!

Did you expand on your fluidity comment? Like how does violence fade away?

I’m not saying it’s wrong, but violence is a prevalent theme throughout the play. However it is okay if you had your own unique interpretation explained fully as it gets you higher marks
Original post by Wonyo

I’m not saying it’s wrong, but violence is a prevalent theme throughout the play. However it is okay if you had your own unique interpretation explained fully as it gets you higher marks

Yes I did..as macbeth alternates between violence(attacking his mind) and somewhat perplexion:colondollar:
Original post by Wonyo

Also good luck with chemistry tommorrow
Original post by Dayoestfort
How was it guys?
Did you find it easy?

I did the same.
yes
i mention macbeth murder sleep , his progression of violence
for jekyll i mention dwarf and like rate and said how he was undeveloped and uncanny and also ferocious and used quote like abnormal and a man without any bowels of mercy
Reply 12
Original post by Zoeyyyyyyyy
Yes I did..as macbeth alternates between violence(attacking his mind) and somewhat perplexion:colondollar:

that’s good then :biggrin: examiners are always looking for things not everyone would’ve put
I'm a bit worried i didn't write enough ;-;. I come out of the exam pretty okay and then everyone's discussing how they wrote like 5-7 pages altogether and there's me like I only wrote around 3 pages. I did 3 paragraphs each question but now i'm a bit worried i didn't write enough :/
Oh well can't change it now.
I found the paper frustrating, i did Macbeth and A Christmas Carol, the questions were very restrictive and the second extract had little to no quotes in it so i had work on memory quotes :frown: i just basically went really off the question, i just hope i still get marks for stuff since i did relate it all back to the questions
Also, the Macbeth question was really weird in that i would have never though of it as a possible question, i swear it wasnt even a topic in the revision guides
Original post by SuspiciousDuck
I found the paper frustrating, i did Macbeth and A Christmas Carol, the questions were very restrictive and the second extract had little to no quotes in it so i had work on memory quotes :frown: i just basically went really off the question, i just hope i still get marks for stuff since i did relate it all back to the questions
Reply 16
im so worried i wrote alot but like my points werent as good and some didnt make sense. what do u think ill end up getting?
ik its quality not quantity , thats what worries me . i also forgot to counteract until the end so yh that exam rly burnt me out
Original post by SuspiciousDuck

I thought the 2nd extract was rubbish and I couldn't really link it to much only wrote 2 and a half pages as i ran out of time but oh well.
Reply 18
Was so thrown off by the macbeth question! Am praying that Christmas Carol saves me XD am only aiming for a 5 or 6, that would be amazing.... I did get 6 pages down though... So hopes up
Am also praying that the pigeon English question is kind!
I linked it to just after the extract, with Marley 'Mankind should have been my business' then talked out ignorance and want finishing it off with a little bit about the poor laws and Dickens speading 'the christmas carol' of goodwill to all mankind. Our teacher had us just before the exam and told me to just do what i did in my mock but change the first 2 sentences to fit the question XD
Original post by hannahgcse19
I thought the 2nd extract was rubbish and I couldn't really link it to much only wrote 2 and a half pages as i ran out of time but oh well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending