Refused ADHD referral due to having got into university. Watch

Otters
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello, I think the title is pretty self explanatory.

Today I was informed my my GP that he would not refer me (which I know is already something dubious) as I cannot have ADHD as the UK health system claims that adults with ADHD wouldbe unable to make it into university, that their disability would be so debilitating that the chances of them making it into higher education are 0%.

I am not sure what to think about this, I know of others in the UK who have been diagnosed during and after university but he was adamant this is the case.

This is something I am truly struggling with, having failed college four times over and barely scraped by on an admitedly dumbed down course last year. I have since completely failed the first year of university and am looking to retake it - but I need help to do so. I can't get the required help through DSA without a formal diagnosis and understand that my word means basically nothing in this area when it comes to my universitys disability services.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any information that may help?
Snoozinghamster
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Otters)

Today I was informed my my GP that he would not refer me (which I know is already something dubious) as I cannot have ADHD as the UK health system claims that adults with ADHD wouldbe unable to make it into university, that their disability would be so debilitating that the chances of them making it into higher education are 0%.

I am not sure what to think about this, I know of others in the UK who have been diagnosed during and after university but he was adamant this is the case.

This is something I am truly struggling with, having failed college four times over and barely scraped by on an admitedly dumbed down course last year. I have since completely failed the first year of university and am looking to retake it - but I need help to do so. I can't get the required help through DSA without a formal diagnosis and understand that my word means basically nothing in this area when it comes to my universitys disability services.

Basically you have an awful gp. Try seeing if you can speak to a different one. Does your uni have a disabled students service or similar who you can talk to without the diagnosis for support?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ParadoxSocks
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

This is definitely awful advice. Have you contacted student support or a disability rep at your university? They may be able to help you. They will be able to support you while you work your way through the steps required to get diagnosed for DSA support.

You should definitely make contact with another GP and discuss your difficulties with them. Some of my highest achieving students had formally diagnosed ADHD.
S1elyak1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
That is definitely not true about people with ADHD not making it to university. I knew someone who went, I mean they dropped out but for unrelated reasons rather than because of their diagnosis. You need to find a better GP or maybe go to your student services/disability services and explain to them how much it is affecting your studying. I was given an appointment with an educational psychologist and hopefully something similar will be offered to you. Best of luck with your studies.
Otters
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
This is all good to hear. It kind of felt like the nail in the coffin today, I have seen a few GPs at this doctor about the same issue and had one who claimed it was merely self esteem issues, one who claimed to know nothing about it and then this so... it's not been the most pleasant road to try and get anyone who can go through this and at least make an educated assessment of what I go through.

I'm mostly just worried that other doctors will say the same, since this doctor was 100% certain of his "in the UK the ADHD diagnosis states that you won't make it to university, only in other countries is it not as strict". I'm going to try and talk to a doctor at my local GP when I move back home for summer and see what they say about all of this, then pray the waiting lists don't mess me over with moving back to uni again... :rolleyes: But I'll email the disability services and see if they have any insight too.

Thanks again!
OctoberRain7
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
There is literally no reason that being at university would mean that you were incapable of having any kind of disability, all that it means is that you have been better at coping with it than some people
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
S1elyak1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This is all good to hear. It kind of felt like the nail in the coffin today, I have seen a few GPs at this doctor about the same issue and had one who claimed it was merely self esteem issues, one who claimed to know nothing about it and then this so... it's not been the most pleasant road to try and get anyone who can go through this and at least make an educated assessment of what I go through.

I'm mostly just worried that other doctors will say the same, since this doctor was 100% certain of his "in the UK the ADHD diagnosis states that you won't make it to university, only in other countries is it not as strict". I'm going to try and talk to a doctor at my local GP when I move back home for summer and see what they say about all of this, then pray the waiting lists don't mess me over with moving back to uni again... :rolleyes: But I'll email the disability services and see if they have any insight too.

Thanks again!
Your doctor is wrong about people with ADHD not attending university. Many people have undiagnosed disabilities attend university and have managed that through creating coping mechanisms, you could be one of those people (I did Ed Psych at uni so learnt about this type of thing). Definitely see a different doctor over summer who will hopefully be more helpful than your current one.
BraemarEwan
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
To put it short your GP sounds like an idiot, go schedule an appointment with another. ADHD's affects depend on the person and it's no limit on getting to uni at all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (217)
22.79%
The paper was reasonable (427)
44.85%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
18.28%
It was TERRIBLE (134)
14.08%

Watched Threads