How to get a busy social life and friends at Uni? Watch

Trebor7
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I didn't get involved in the social side of University life in the first or second year of Uni - I didn't sign up to societies and I skipped lectures. I live in the town over from where I am studying so I figured that I had enough friends to bother and most of the students at my University are from private schools and wealthy backgrounds plus its my second undergrad degree so i'm not mentality at the same place as 18-20 year olds so for these reasons I just didn't make an effort.

For my final year though I think I should make the most of it but I'm concerned most people will have formed clique's by now and i'm still not sure many societies are for me but I still want to get the Uni experience of having a good social life, friends etc. What's a good way to go about it?
profjb
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I'm in a similar scenario, in 2nd year. Had a lot of plans but my mental health kind of meant I didn't really go out or do a lot. I'm thinking of joining a swing dance society next year because it's something outside of what I usually do. I kind of have the opposite friends wise because most of my friends are at the uni whereas when I go home there isn't really anyone too be honest, there all doing different things.
I would say though that it's not really a negative if someone is from a private school or a wealthy background and there not going to think of you differently because of it (on most occasions), I have two housemates in my flat who are pretty well off and have the privilege of being privately educated unlike myself but it doesn't change my opinion of them and there great people to live with.
As for cliques, they do exist. People form other groups of people they enjoy to be around and most of that's done in the first year but if you join a society these cliques go away and you can just kind of make friends over a shared interest which in some ways is even more fun.
hallamstudents
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Trebor7)
I didn't get involved in the social side of University life in the first or second year of Uni - I didn't sign up to societies and I skipped lectures. I live in the town over from where I am studying so I figured that I had enough friends to bother and most of the students at my University are from private schools and wealthy backgrounds plus its my second undergrad degree so i'm not mentality at the same place as 18-20 year olds so for these reasons I just didn't make an effort.

For my final year though I think I should make the most of it but I'm concerned most people will have formed clique's by now and i'm still not sure many societies are for me but I still want to get the Uni experience of having a good social life, friends etc. What's a good way to go about it?
Hey, I would say just try nd get as involved as possible. Generally chat to people and make an effort!
Sophia
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How are you feeling ahead of this paper?

Feeling positive! (10)
11.49%
Okay. Just a little more work... (27)
31.03%
Not feeling great (29)
33.33%
Send URGENT HELP!!! (21)
24.14%

Watched Threads