Have I failed English Literature? Watch

Porridge_Spoon
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I've just done the English Literature GCSE and despite the fact the questions were easy I still managed to a complete mess of everything. I ended up writing two paragraphs (three including the into, which was quite short), however they were almost a page long. Do you think I still have a chance?
Thank you x
MinaBee
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Porridge_Spoon)
I've just done the English Literature GCSE and despite the fact the questions were easy I still managed to a complete mess of everything. I ended up writing two paragraphs (three including the into, which was quite short), however they were almost a page long. Do you think I still have a chance?
Thank you x
Chances are you've done a lot better than you think.

I did GCSE English lit a few years ago and I sobbed after my exam because I thought I'd ruined it. I forgot to put paragraphs in in some places, mixed up quotes and wasted half / 3/4 of a page where I pretty much just explained the story instead of actually analysing anything. Come results day I ended up getting an A* in that paper.

Right now you're probably just beating yourself up over the things that went badly whilst ignoring all the good stuff you have written down. I really wouldn't worry about it. Focus on your other exams

Good luck!
Porridge_Spoon
Rep:
?
(Original post by MinaBee)

I did GCSE English lit a few years ago and I sobbed after my exam because I thought I'd ruined it. I forgot to put paragraphs in in some places, mixed up quotes and wasted half / 3/4 of a page where I pretty much just explained the story instead of actually analysing anything. Come results day I ended up getting an A* in that paper.

Right now you're probably just beating yourself up over the things that went badly whilst ignoring all the good stuff you have written down. I really wouldn't worry about it. Focus on your other exams

Good luck!
I really hope so, thank you for the support.
HateSchx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Stp asking other. It'll only make you get more anxious. Same thing here with the question being easy but I think I messed up someone with oerall how I went about writing it?? Whats does is done right so start looking towards paper 2. Its 60% overall so yh...
Thank you x
Porridge_Spoon
Rep:
?
I will, you're probably right about the anxious thing.
Thank you x
(Original post by HateSchx)
Stp asking other. It'll only make you get more anxious. Same thing here with the question being easy but I think I messed up someone with oerall how I went about writing it?? Whats does is done right so start looking towards paper 2. Its 60% overall so yh...
ajsar
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago

Good luck!
Oh my daysss, you’ve just given me a lot of hope! That’s literally what I did today. Btw in Christmas carol i explained where the ghosts took Scrooge added a quote or 2 for each ghosts and explained why it would change Scrooge do you think I have a chance of getting a 5?
MinaBee
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by ajsar)
Oh my daysss, you’ve just given me a lot of hope! That’s literally what I did today. Btw in Christmas carol i explained where the ghosts took Scrooge added a quote or 2 for each ghosts and explained why it would change Scrooge do you think I have a chance of getting a 5?
I'm not an English teacher by any means but that sounds fine! I'm sure you've done great :yep:
Davy611
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Yes, you'll be okay. The examiner will be irritated at the page long paragraphs but as long as you've applied the skills that you've been taught (assessment objectives) then you'll still be credited for your understanding and appreciation of the text.
Porridge_Spoon
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Davy611)
Yes, you'll be okay. The examiner will be irritated at the page long paragraphs but as long as you've applied the skills that you've been taught (assessment objectives) then you'll still be credited for your understanding and appreciation of the text.
An irritated examiner is always a plus
SansaStark#queen
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Thank you x
quality is better than quantity, so you could get a good mark still. the only problem is that you need lots of perspective ideas and points with those 2 long paragraphs
ajsar
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hi guys so today I heard someone saying that you can only get a good mark if you add a conclusion as it sums up the points you are making is this true?
(Original post by Davy611)
I'm not an English teacher by any means but that sounds fine! I'm sure you've done great :yep:
(Original post by SansaStark#queen)
quality is better than quantity, so you could get a good mark still. the only problem is that you need lots of perspective ideas and points with those 2 long paragraphs
MinaBee
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by ajsar)
Hi guys so today I heard someone saying that you can only get a good mark if you add a conclusion as it sums up the points you are making is this true?
That's not true. An examiner wouldn't give a grade 9 answer a 5 just because it didn't have a conclusion.

It probably would have been better to do one just to finish things off nicely, but I highly doubt not having one would have a big impact on your grade.
ajsar
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Thank you and btw did you do the Chemistry exam today?
That's not true. An examiner wouldn't give a grade 9 answer a 5 just because it didn't have a conclusion.

It probably would have been better to do one just to finish things off nicely, but I highly doubt not having one would have a big impact on your grade.
MinaBee
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by ajsar)
Thank you and btw did you do the Chemistry exam today?
Yw! No I didn't, I did my GCSEs a few years ago :yes:
ajsar
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Oh haha, sorry!
Yw! No I didn't, I did my GCSEs a few years ago :yes:
Davy611
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
No, it's not an absolute necessity to have a conclusion. The examiner would consider every element of an essay and reach a judgement based on that. A conclusion might make it a bit easier for them to decide on a candidate's appreciation of the task though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (386)
26.03%
The paper was reasonable (640)
43.16%
Not feeling great about that exam (294)
19.82%
It was TERRIBLE (163)
10.99%

Watched Threads