The Student Room Group

MSc Psychology Conversion at Northumbria Uni onto Forensic Psychology

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at applying for a MSc Psychology conversion course at Northumbria & then a MSc in Forensic Psychology at Newcastle Uni.

I already have a BA in Counselling & Psychotherapy with Criminology & a PG Certificate in Integrative Psychotherapy.

I'm wanting to work in the area of crime & so started looking into the Forensic Psychology at NCL university. Basically i'm looking for any advice & help with tips for experience & the best opportunity to get into the field successfully as I know it's extremely difficult, especially in the North East UK.

Has anyone studied the MSc Conversion course who has advice on getting ahead in the course/career.

Thanks,
Cairon
It sounds a bit like you are collecting degrees. Have you looked at jobs or talked to employers to find out what you actually need?
Original post by Cairon92
Hi everyone,

I'm looking at applying for a MSc Psychology conversion course at Northumbria & then a MSc in Forensic Psychology at Newcastle Uni.

I already have a BA in Counselling & Psychotherapy with Criminology & a PG Certificate in Integrative Psychotherapy.

I'm wanting to work in the area of crime & so started looking into the Forensic Psychology at NCL university. Basically i'm looking for any advice & help with tips for experience & the best opportunity to get into the field successfully as I know it's extremely difficult, especially in the North East UK.

Has anyone studied the MSc Conversion course who has advice on getting ahead in the course/career.

Thanks,
Cairon
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
It sounds a bit like you are collecting degrees. Have you looked at jobs or talked to employers to find out what you actually need?

Yes. I didn't finish my Postgraduate diploma for personal reasons. Since 2016 i've taken time out & went travelling.

Now I want to study the correct field so I can get involved in something i'm more interested in. I know the qualifications & experience I need in both fields. Just wanted to know people's opinions on the courses. Thanks.
If you have already checked with employers what you need to get into this field why does a bunch of UK students' opinions make a difference? Do the course you need to get the jobs you want based on your research. You can also check where grads from each course end up.
Yes. I didn't finish my Postgraduate diploma for personal reasons. Since 2016 i've taken time out & went travelling.

Now I want to study the correct field so I can get involved in something i'm more interested in. I know the qualifications & experience I need in both fields. Just wanted to know people's opinions on the courses. Thanks.
Reply 4
People's personal experiences are MUCH more informative than the generic replies you get from employers. Why are you even commenting on my post that is clearly NOT related to you or your studies at all. Are you a TSR troll? Jeeez sorry for trying to speak to other people in the field i want to explore.
Original post by alleycat393
If you have already checked with employers what you need to get into this field why does a bunch of UK students' opinions make a difference? Do the course you need to get the jobs you want based on your research. You can also check where grads from each course end up.
People's personal experiences are MUCH more informative than the generic replies you get from employers. Why are you even commenting on my post that is clearly NOT related to you or your studies at all. Are you a TSR troll? Jeeez sorry for trying to speak to other people in the field i want to explore.

Oh hun you need to calm down. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn’t mean the advice isn’t valid. Also what’s the point of asking for advice if you’re only interested in what you want to hear? I’ve been advising students on TSR and off for a long time so maybe check before throwing accusations at people trying to help.

People’s experiences will vary and this site is mainly frequented by people like yourself who are only applying. You’re also unlikely to find someone in your exact field. If you’re unwilling to listen to someone who is likely to employ you or the people providing the course then maybe you need to rethink why you want to do the course? They’re far more likely to have helpful information than people in the same boat as you. Good luck!
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending