Report 6 days ago
Dunno.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by gjd800)
I bombed my A-Levels and now have a PhD.
Such wasted potential.
You could have abandoned all education in pursuit of heavy metal, bashing the establishment and accumulating hundreds of thousands in debt & court costs.
Catastrophic.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
Such wasted potential.
You could have abandoned all education in pursuit of heavy metal, bashing the establishment and accumulating hundreds of thousands in debt & court costs.
Catastrophic.
:laugh:

I do that on the side.
Wonyo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Well, both. They’re both successful in their own right. Motivation is always key but they’ll both help you in any way. I don’t mind who I get my advice from, I’m willing to listen and interpret it in my own way.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
:laugh:

I do that on the side.
That is the tragedy.
Should have never have been relegated to hobby status.
ErinaNakiri78
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Yeah. I was sick of working crap jobs so thought I'd go do a degree to improve my prospects. Got in because I was 'mature' and had lived a bit, so my grades weren't really a hindrance. Opted for philosophy (was already interested in some of the Indian stuff), found out that I was good at it, and here I am.
That is amazing! I really admire people like you!
pibobelebeep
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Probably 1, because I'm currently more a type 2 person without the passion, so how to be consistently good would be great advice. I'm pretty sure I procrastinate too religiously to be consistently good, so advice on that would be nice. And watching people with passion just tends to demotivate me since I'm reminded I have none sooo....
DanF_2000
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by ErinaNakiri78)
Also I never see a lot of people who are like the second one, especially on tsr.
Most of the people I see on here are like ‘I got 9’s on everything AMA’. It really isn’t the type of person I look up to. I look up to someone who failed GCSEs realised what they want after, then got top A Level grades.
I'm kinda like the second one. Got 4 Cs and 2 Bs in my GCSEs (3 years ago with the A* - D format), then a B, C and Pass in AS Levels, and then coming up to a DDD or D*DD in college. (D = Distinction.) Currently studying Game Development and last year I got 13 DIstinctions and 3 Merits. This year so far I've got 8 Distinctions and 2 Merits.
It's mainly because I didn't know what I wanted to do when I'm older until mid AS Levels (I knew I wanted to work in the games industry though, studied Business, Statistics, Applied Science and Media though dropped after realising that subject wasn't for me), and I struggle in exams. I've got aspergers and even though I probably spent more time revising than everyone at college, during the actual GCSE exams my mind blanks out, I stress a lot, and forget a lot of things. Coursework on the other hand I like. I'm learning along the way and able to do it in my spare time so if it's due in 2 weeks, I know I'll have time to do it this weekend. (and I write detailed. Usually 2000 - 7000 words)
ErinaNakiri78
Rep:
?
(Original post by DanF_2000)
I'm kinda like the second one. Got 4 Cs and 2 Bs in my GCSEs (3 years ago with the A* - D format), then a B, C and Pass in AS Levels, and then coming up to a DDD or D*DD in college. (D = Distinction.) Currently studying Game Development and last year I got 13 DIstinctions and 3 Merits. This year so far I've got 8 Distinctions and 2 Merits.
It's mainly because I didn't know what I wanted to do when I'm older until mid AS Levels (I knew I wanted to work in the games industry though, studied Business, Statistics, Applied Science and Media though dropped after realising that subject wasn't for me), and I struggle in exams. I've got aspergers and even though I probably spent more time revising than everyone at college, during the actual GCSE exams my mind blanks out, I stress a lot, and forget a lot of things. Coursework on the other hand I like. I'm learning along the way and able to do it in my spare time so if it's due in 2 weeks, I know I'll have time to do it this weekend. (and I write detailed. Usually 2000 - 7000 words)
This is a really inspiring story! You clearly had a unique passion for game development I’m in year 12 atm and for my GCSEs i didn’t do too well (all B’s except 2 A’s in Maths and Chemistry) and a lot of people doing the subject I take got the top grades for them but I don’t see them having an actual understanding of the subject and it really saddens me. I just realised a couple months ago how much I love Chemistry and before I even knew what the subject was I thought about its concepts. it’s really fascinating to me. But my problem is that it will be much harder for me to get into a good university and I don’t think my teachers believe in me enough to give me high predicted grades. I have been trying so hard this year and the results have finally been showing after years of never standing out yet my teachers don’t react.
ErinaNakiri78
Rep:
?
(Original post by pibobelebeep)
Probably 1, because I'm currently more a type 2 person without the passion, so how to be consistently good would be great advice. I'm pretty sure I procrastinate too religiously to be consistently good, so advice on that would be nice. And watching people with passion just tends to demotivate me since I'm reminded I have none sooo....
Oh fair enough I guess that’s a good way of thinking about it
DanF_2000
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by ErinaNakiri78)
This is a really inspiring story! You clearly had a unique passion for game development I’m in year 12 atm and for my GCSEs i didn’t do too well (all B’s except 2 A’s in Maths and Chemistry) and a lot of people doing the subject I take got the top grades for them but I don’t see them having an actual understanding of the subject and it really saddens me. I just realised a couple months ago how much I love Chemistry and before I even knew what the subject was I thought about its concepts. it’s really fascinating to me. But my problem is that it will be much harder for me to get into a good university and I don’t think my teachers believe in me enough to give me high predicted grades. I have been trying so hard this year and the results have finally been showing after years of never standing out yet my teachers don’t react.
Good luck for your exams! Luckily the course at Uni (Computing with Games Development) only requires a DMM so I'm pretty much set, but I can imagine something like Chemistry or the sciences would be 1) very stressful/hard and 2) have high entry requirements at Uni. I really liked my sciences but the only problem was the exams and holding the info in my head. I tend to find them stress-filled memory tests and sometimes say to myself "what's the point of scramming in everything you've learned the past year all into your head for 20 or 25 questions under extreme pressure only to forget most of it afterwards?" Then again that's my PoV from bad experiences...
Glaz
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Defo second
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel GCSE Maths Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - feeling positive (519)
26.23%
The paper was reasonable (863)
43.61%
Not feeling great about that exam (388)
19.61%
It was TERRIBLE (209)
10.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed