Clearing Help Watch

ollieorange7
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi Guys,

I am currently holding onto an offer from Exeter for an awesome politics course, provided I achieve grades AAA in my three subjects, Ancient History, politics and Psychology. However I am starting to panic slightly. I am just wondering how exactly clearing works, my fallback is Southhampton with BBB, however my heart is pretty set on Exeter. I am working my hardest to achieve the grades, but the long and short of it is this.

if I miss my AAA slightly and get maybe ABB, can I go through clearing for a different curse at Exeter? What are the chances that Exeter take me on (ideally) another politics course if I miss my grades.

I know this may seem like a redundant question and know the solution is to revise, but I am and I'm still concerned, I suppose its always best to know exactly what all your options are.

Thanks for any help and sorry for the long windedness of this (:
SarcAndSpark
  • Careers Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Exeter can choose to offer you a similar closely related course on results day. You could also apply to them via clearing for less closely related courses- but they may prefer to accept students who originally applied for these subjects. Nobody can say what your chances would be at this stage as it all depends on the results other applicants get on results day.
swanseajack1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Nobody can definitely tell you what will happen if you miss Exeter's offer. However there is a strong possibility Exeter would accept 1 dropped grade. I cannot see them offering a similar subject as that would probably have similar entry requirements. All you can do is work hard to achieve your best and hopefully that will get you into Exeter.
(Original post by ollieorange7)
Hi Guys,

I am currently holding onto an offer from Exeter for an awesome politics course, provided I achieve grades AAA in my three subjects, Ancient History, politics and Psychology. However I am starting to panic slightly. I am just wondering how exactly clearing works, my fallback is Southhampton with BBB, however my heart is pretty set on Exeter. I am working my hardest to achieve the grades, but the long and short of it is this.

if I miss my AAA slightly and get maybe ABB, can I go through clearing for a different curse at Exeter? What are the chances that Exeter take me on (ideally) another politics course if I miss my grades.

I know this may seem like a redundant question and know the solution is to revise, but I am and I'm still concerned, I suppose its always best to know exactly what all your options are.

harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ollieorange7)
Hi Guys,

It's very possible that Exeter would go slightly lower than AAA on results day but no one can guarantee it. If you do get rejected from them, you will probably get accepted by Southampton and so need to decline that offer before you can enter Clearing (which should be straightforward this year, and lots of advice will be available nearer the time).

Before declining Southampton, you would obviously need to check on the Clearing lists which courses Exeter still has vacancies for, and what grades they want. In previous years, some of their Clearing spaces have been at the Penryn campus so have a think now about whether you would be prepared to go there if it came to it, or if you are only prepared to go to the Streatham campus. Since Penryn is less popular, it tends to be easier to get onto the courses with lower grades.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (43)
16.1%
The paper was reasonable (131)
49.06%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
22.47%
It was TERRIBLE (33)
12.36%

Watched Threads