The Student Room Group

GCSE English Literature Paper 1 Jekyll and Hyde and Shakespeare Unofficial Markscheme

Before you read this, I'm being overly simplistic for some stuff I wrote here because I can't be asked to write everything.
Anyway, how did everyone find the exam today on Jekyll and Hyde and Macbeth? I found the question of how Shakespeare shows Macbeth as a violent character quite easy, I wrote about how his ambition leads to his hamartia (fatal flaw) which lead to his inevitable peripetia (thus leading to an increase in his violence, resulting in his inevitable downfall. It was a cyclical structure as Macbeth was beheaded, just like The previous Thane of Cawdor.
For the Jekyll and Hyde question on Hyde as inhuman, I wrote about he was troglodytic and atavistic, and how he is small and dwarfish and then wrote about the whole play on how he has "ape-like fury"; showing zoomorphism and his atavistic attributes and then wrote about how Hyde "mauled the unresisting body, tasting delight from every blow" and tasting shows his decadence, indulging in excessive acts and Shakespeare does this to play on Victorian Fears of atavism, degradation and regression. Lastly, I talked about how "Mr Hyde shrank back with a hissing intake of breath"- with sibilance giving a biblical allusion to Adam and Eve and how he will be the inevitable downfall of Victorian traditional society.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending