The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

you dont need to know that much about the treaties only reali the T of V and the Molotov-Reibbentrop Pact (Nazi-Soviet Pact), the rest you can sum up in one line!!
Reply 21
.X.alysha.X.
The Dawes (1924) and Young Plan(1929) wern't treaties they were a way of getting Germany out of the depession and repaying America back

Germany and the World wasn't in a depression in 1924.
Reply 22
Wasnt the Dawes plan a loan from America for 8 million rentenmarks or somethings like that? but they they had to pay it back in 29 when the Depression hit, thus sending German economy into a slouch?
I got an A* by revising exclusively from Ben Walsh, so I wouldn't worry too much. From what I can remember, you only need general factual information, what's more important is an ability to analyse and argue. Obviously the facts will help you to do that, but as long as you're moderately comfortable with them then that'll be fine - just use them and manipulate them!

Also, from what I can remember (bearing in mind I did this course 2 years ago!) the Dawes and Young Plans were concerned with the German reparations that were owed following the First World War. The Dawes Plan was put into place after the Germans defaulted on their debt a couple of years after the ToV, and I seem to remember they had some US loans or something as well, to help stimulate the German economy which had gone into major decline. The Young Plan extended the deadline for the reparations and decreased the yearly amount owed because it was very clear that the Germans wouldn't be able to pay at the rate that the Dawes Plan suggested. And to whoever said that Germany wasn't in a depression in 1924 - I'm pretty sure they were emerging from one, caused by the reparations, the terms of the ToV and hyperinflation. Thanks to an excellent Chancellor, they managed to have a lovely little boom in the 20s, before a crash in '29, which led to the Great Depression that allowed Hitler to take power in '33.

Ah, this is what thorough revision gives you, a head full of useless knowledge 2 years later :rolleyes: Now why can't I remember that level of detail for my A level paper?
Zoedotdot
I got an A* by revising exclusively from Ben Walsh, so I wouldn't worry too much. From what I can remember, you only need general factual information, what's more important is an ability to analyse and argue. Obviously the facts will help you to do that, but as long as you're moderately comfortable with them then that'll be fine - just use them and manipulate them!

Also, from what I can remember (bearing in mind I did this course 2 years ago!) the Dawes and Young Plans were concerned with the German reparations that were owed following the First World War. The Dawes Plan was put into place after the Germans defaulted on their debt a couple of years after the ToV, and I seem to remember they had some US loans or something as well, to help stimulate the German economy which had gone into major decline. The Young Plan extended the deadline for the reparations and decreased the yearly amount owed because it was very clear that the Germans wouldn't be able to pay at the rate that the Dawes Plan suggested. And to whoever said that Germany wasn't in a depression in 1924 - I'm pretty sure they were emerging from one, caused by the reparations, the terms of the ToV and hyperinflation. Thanks to an excellent Chancellor, they managed to have a lovely little boom in the 20s, before a crash in '29, which led to the Great Depression that allowed Hitler to take power in '33.

Ah, this is what thorough revision gives you, a head full of useless knowledge 2 years later :rolleyes: Now why can't I remember that level of detail for my A level paper?

Is Advanced Level History hard then?..surely not for a Cambridge offer-holder....

Oh and its 800 million Marks that the USA loaned to GER...above ^.
chongy5
Germany and the World wasn't in a depression in 1924.

Early 1920s was know as the "Golden Twenties", but in 1923 Germany hit "The Great Depression"

In 1923 German government was unable to pay the reparations required under the terms of the Treaty of Versailles. The French and Belgian governments responded by sending in troops to the Ruhr, the main centre of Germany's coal, iron and steel production.

The occupation of the Ruhr led to a collapse of the German economy. There was massive inflation then hyperinflation and a large increase in unemployment. Germany was now unable to pay any reparations.

This is when the Dawes Plan was introduced
The occupation led to collapse because Ebert called for a general strike

Stressemann took over and saved Germany, and he was known mostly for his achievements in foreign policy, e.g Dawes and Young plan
ahhhhhhhhhhhh, panicking about history! haven't revised one bit of english as a result. time to get off tsr
Reply 28
.X.alysha.X.
Early 1920s was know as the "Golden Twenties", but in 1923 Germany hit "The Great Depression"

No, that was the Hyperinflation crisis.

From wikipedia:

'The Great Depression (also known as the Great Slump)[1] was a dramatic, worldwide economic downturn beginning in some countries as early as 1928.'
Great Depression was the one in 1929 because of the Wall St. Crash
Hedgehunter
Is Advanced Level History hard then?..surely not for a Cambridge offer-holder....

Oh and its 800 million Marks that the USA loaned to GER...above ^.

Thank you :smile: My memory's not that good!!

It's as hard as you want it to be. It's definitely a lot of work. As you probably know from GCSE, there is much more to learn just in terms of content, and the amount of content you need to learn increases significantly at A level. Your essay technique develops a lot, as does source analysis. It becomes less about spouting facts and figures and much more about how well you can argue, and how you use historical evidence to draw personal conclusions. I've absolutely loved every minute of the A level course: I've found it difficult, but having a passion for it definitely helps. You need to be prepared to do a lot of hard work, but it's really worthwhile. And it gives you a good knowledge of the foundations of the modern world if you do the right modules! (And yes, it is hard for a Cambridge offer holder, but I like hard work :wink:)
ArchedEdge
Great Depression was the one in 1929 because of the Wall St. Crash

Yeah correct, my mistake
Zoedotdot
Thank you :smile: My memory's not that good!!

It's as hard as you want it to be. It's definitely a lot of work. As you probably know from GCSE, there is much more to learn just in terms of content, and the amount of content you need to learn increases significantly at A level. Your essay technique develops a lot, as does source analysis. It becomes less about spouting facts and figures and much more about how well you can argue, and how you use historical evidence to draw personal conclusions. I've absolutely loved every minute of the A level course: I've found it difficult, but having a passion for it definitely helps. You need to be prepared to do a lot of hard work, but it's really worthwhile. And it gives you a good knowledge of the foundations of the modern world if you do the right modules! (And yes, it is hard for a Cambridge offer holder, but I like hard work :wink:)

Ok, great...looking forward to September....I suppose its helps for Literature as well...which i am also doing. Which is very hardcore apparently...:eek:
Hedgehunter
Ok, great...looking forward to September....I suppose its helps for Literature as well...which i am also doing. Which is very hardcore apparently...:eek:

Yeah, I take English Lit also. I much prefer History, because History's actually based on something, whereas arguments in Lit tend to be all waffle and supposition. But it definitely helps with the essay writing :smile: And yes, Eng Lit's a lot lot lot of work as well! Good luck with them :smile: What else are you taking?
Reply 34
KnightRider
Sorry I completely disagree, you do not need to know all that to get an A*. I've had a look at mark schemes and often there are no specific marks for that kind of detail, but for more general points. It might impress the examiner, but is completely unnecessary as the board's recognise that understanding what happened during the events is much more important than the (often) useless statistics.

Well it got me nearly full marks, I'm just offering how particular information helped me do well. I never looked at the mark scheme once.
Zoedotdot
Yeah, I take English Lit also. I much prefer History, because History's actually based on something, whereas arguments in Lit tend to be all waffle and supposition. But it definitely helps with the essay writing :smile: And yes, Eng Lit's a lot lot lot of work as well! Good luck with them :smile: What else are you taking?

A nice contrast: Biology and Chemistry..Also perhaps Critical thinking which i may drop as 4 hardcore subjects is enough work. Especially cos i want As in those main ones...

Do you think its possible to do well in Critical Thinking if as i think we will only have 2 lessons a week...I mean is most of it common sense which i will have already usedin other subjects at GCSE...?
Reply 36
Sorry to hijack the thread but I didn't want to start a new one...

Does anyone know what % of the edexcel GCSE is coursework?
And also whether the sources paper is worth the same as the depth studies paper?

Thanks for anyone's help!
Reply 37
.X.alysha.X.

No. The 'golden years' of Weimar were 1923/4-1929. There is no way that the early 1920s were 'golden'.
Reply 38
My mum said that it varies on exam boards as waht you need to get A*.

For example in source based questions:

Edexcel view every source as very useful and that there isn't a limit to how useul they are
OCR regularly ask "how useful..." is this source

one of the reasons my mum switched to edexcel, and her number of A*s shot up!

xx
Hedgehunter
A nice contrast: Biology and Chemistry..Also perhaps Critical thinking which i may drop as 4 hardcore subjects is enough work. Especially cos i want As in those main ones...

Do you think its possible to do well in Critical Thinking if as i think we will only have 2 lessons a week...I mean is most of it common sense which i will have already usedin other subjects at GCSE...?

Yeah, good subjects :smile: I had Maths as my contrasting one. Four hardcore subjects are plenty of work if you want to do well. I never see the point in overloading yourself for the sake of it.

I'll be honest about the CT - I don't know anyone who's done well in it, ever. I'm sure people do, but everyone at school who was roped into taking it (I escaped, hurrah) seemed to end up with Ds and Us. If I were you, I'd use those two lessons a week to study your other subjects: you'll need them.

Latest