Late application advice Watch

alispikes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello to all,

So I finally got around to applying on UCAS. I know how late it is and that the odds aren't in my favor, but I reckon it's worth a try. I am an EU student and received my Baccalaureate last year, before starting a course at a UK University that I left at the end of the first term due to not liking the course nor the uni. The course I'm applying for is not amongst the most popular ones, and I seem to fulfill the entry requirements at most of my top choice unis, so I'm hoping to get an offer or that I'll get lucky during Clearing. However, given my situation, I don't have a referee nor am I able to get one as high school is long passed and I only stayed one term at uni. So I'm seeking advice on two things.

1) Should I contact each University's admission team individually asking them if they would consider my application without a referee ? And will it considerably undermine my application ?

2) In my personal statement, should I mention my Baccalaureate grades to justify my interest in the course I'm applying for, as well as give an explanation as to why I'm applying late, or should I write it as a student just leaving school would ?

Thank you in advance to anyone willing to help out.
Last edited by alispikes; 1 week ago
SarcAndSpark
  • Careers Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
1) Yes, you should definitely contact unis in advance if you really can't find a referee. For many unis, this will be a major issue so it's not worth applying in that case. You should also ask if unis would consider a late application for the course you are interested in to save wasting a space on your UCAS form.

2) You don't need to reference your grades on your PS as they will be elsewhere in your application. You should explain what you have been doing since school but try to put a positive spin on it and this should only be a small section of your PS.
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by alispikes)
Hello to all,

So I finally got around to applying on UCAS. I know how late it is and that the odds aren't in my favor, but I reckon it's worth a try. I am an EU student and received my Baccalaureate last year, before starting a course at a UK University that I left at the end of the first term due to not liking the course nor the uni. The course I'm applying for is not amongst the most popular ones, and I seem to fulfill the entry requirements at most of my top choice unis, so I'm hoping to get an offer or that I'll get lucky during Clearing. However, given my situation, I don't have a referee nor am I able to get one as high school is long passed and I only stayed one term at uni. So I'm seeking advice on two things.

1) Should I contact each University's admission team individually asking them if they would consider my application without a referee ? And will it considerably undermine my application ?

2) In my personal statement, should I mention my Baccalaureate grades to justify my interest in the course I'm applying for, as well as give an explanation as to why I'm applying late, or should I write it as a student just leaving school would ?

Thank you in advance to anyone willing to help out.
Contact Uni Admissions, UCAS will process your application without a reference so it is up to the individual Unis how they would view it. If you explain the circumstances they may say you can apply without one or else suggest who else you could ask
alispikes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thank you for your replies, it’s a huge help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Arts University Bournemouth
    Art and Design Foundation Diploma Further education
    Sat, 25 May '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (44)
16.36%
The paper was reasonable (131)
48.7%
Not feeling great about that exam... (61)
22.68%
It was TERRIBLE (33)
12.27%

Watched Threads