Braces Watch

dapuncake
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Hi guys,

I'm 17 and I was wondering if it's weird to get braces now?
Basically I struggled with my teeth and self confidence for a while so I avoided going to the dentist, meaning that I had no clue that I still had any baby teeth left. Unfortunately this meant that my adult tooth is now stuck behind my baby tooth and there's a chance it won't come down on it's own even if we removed the baby tooth.
My orthodontist explained what treatment I would get and apparently at the hospital they will remove 2 adult teeth and 1 baby tooth, after that i'll be getting braces for 18 months. This means I'll have a big gap at the front of my mouth (missing canine) for up to a year and I was really worried it might impact my life especially with meeting new people and going to Uni.

So I was just wondering if anybody had any tips on anything to do with braces which, I know, is a pretty broad topic but by anything I mean cleaning tips, how braces impacted you, does it hurt, what colours to get, etc.

Thanks a lot in advance guys, I really appreciate it
sophia.chlo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
i’m 17 and still haven’t got my braces yet, i’ve been on the waiting list for at least 3 years and have finally gotten to the start of the list!
my teeth have always been my biggest insecurity as people have called me names in the past!
i’ve been to the orthodontist twice and they said i would either have to have 2 adult teeth out at the top and then braces for 18 months meaning i will have the same problem with you with the gaps, i will just fee self conscious, or i can have braces without taking any teeth out and then having jaw surgery on the bottom jaw to correct my overbite.
the only problem is that if i have the top 2 teeth taken out then my top lip will become even smaller and it’s already small now. i just don’t know what to do?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
dapuncake
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
Guess we're in a similar position 'cause i'd feel really self conscious too. Thing is for you I think getting braces without taking any teeth out might be more difficult since you'd need surgery later, and even though your top lip would be smaller I think having fabulous teeth would be worth it. I guess it just depends if you're willing or not to go through 18 months with gaps in your teeth, but at the same time your gaps would gradually become less noticeable. Plus it'd be worth it to have amazing straight teeth no?
i’m 17 and still haven’t got my braces yet, i’ve been on the waiting list for at least 3 years and have finally gotten to the start of the list!
my teeth have always been my biggest insecurity as people have called me names in the past!
i’ve been to the orthodontist twice and they said i would either have to have 2 adult teeth out at the top and then braces for 18 months meaning i will have the same problem with you with the gaps, i will just fee self conscious, or i can have braces without taking any teeth out and then having jaw surgery on the bottom jaw to correct my overbite.
the only problem is that if i have the top 2 teeth taken out then my top lip will become even smaller and it’s already small now. i just don’t know what to do?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has 2019 been so far?

Amazing!!! (41)
5.65%
Fairly positive (242)
33.33%
Just another year... (287)
39.53%
Is it 2020 yet? (156)
21.49%

Watched Threads