Cambridge Masters Offer/New Job Watch

EmilyCharl321
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi all,

I'd love some advice on a subject as I feel I do not have anyone to turn to on the issue. I've just moved to London in Battersea, love the area and my new job, my boyfriend and family are close, but I've just received an offer from Cambridge. I've always had a real interest in both Oxbridge universities, the whole area fascinates me. I left university with a low first (however didn't work incredibly hard) so I've no idea if I could cope with the academic content in honesty. If I were to accept, I'd work my a** off. Just to be clear.

My current job is for hugely well known start up with a lot of potential. Salary is good along with stock options which is great. The future career prospects after Cambridge is an area I think I'd prefer (real estate), but I am loving my new job, the company is fantastic, the role itself is okay but I am more here for the company profile.

I may just be being really stupid here, but I've got two options - to remain with the company for the forseeable future, hope for an IPO and continued growth and be well set (admittedly in a career area I'm not sure is for me). Or, I fulfill I lifelong aim of attending Cambridge, with the chance it will be an incredibly hard experience that I ultimately fail in, and then see my old company shoot to success.

I am so torn on what option is best, if someone could help me, or offer some sage words of wisdom that would help. I have a great support network but the issue is so sensitive I haven't mentioned it to anyone - at all. I work from home most days so haven't seen anyone in my office, I work in Canary Wharf.
threeportdrift
  • Careers Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by EmilyCharl321)
Hi all,

I'd love some advice on a subject as I feel I do not have anyone to turn to on the issue. I've just moved to London in Battersea, love the area and my new job, my boyfriend and family are close, but I've just received an offer from Cambridge. I've always had a real interest in both Oxbridge universities, the whole area fascinates me. I left university with a low first (however didn't work incredibly hard) so I've no idea if I could cope with the academic content in honesty. If I were to accept, I'd work my a** off. Just to be clear.

My current job is for hugely well known start up with a lot of potential. Salary is good along with stock options which is great. The future career prospects after Cambridge is an area I think I'd prefer (real estate), but I am loving my new job, the company is fantastic, the role itself is okay but I am more here for the company profile.

I may just be being really stupid here, but I've got two options - to remain with the company for the forseeable future, hope for an IPO and continued growth and be well set (admittedly in a career area I'm not sure is for me). Or, I fulfill I lifelong aim of attending Cambridge, with the chance it will be an incredibly hard experience that I ultimately fail in, and then see my old company shoot to success.

I am so torn on what option is best, if someone could help me, or offer some sage words of wisdom that would help. I have a great support network but the issue is so sensitive I haven't mentioned it to anyone - at all. I work from home most days so haven't seen anyone in my office, I work in Canary Wharf.
So a few basics - Cambridge is a residential university, you'd have to live in during term time, you wouldn't be allowed to commute, so that might be something to consider. You'd be able to cope with the academic content.

One way to look at it is which option could you never get again? Could you get a similar role in an organisation if you took the Cam option now and it turns out not to be what you want? Could you get the Cam option again if you stuck out the current job for a couple more years? i suspect you'd have more chance of the second of those options.

Another way is to spend 24-48 hours telling yourself you've made one of those decisions, then another 24-48 with the other decision, and see which excites you more.

You could also speak to work, start-ups might be able to take an unconventional approach and hold the job for 11 months - but it sounds as though the degree won't help the work, so this probably won't fly in your situation.

I'm in a similar position, but with a few key differences, and I've decided on the Cam option. It's maybe not quite so clear in your case.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 5 Jul '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (191)
22.58%
The paper was reasonable (390)
46.1%
Not feeling great about that exam... (157)
18.56%
It was TERRIBLE (108)
12.77%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed