How accurate were a levels at predicting uni success at your uni? Watch

100yoMAGApede
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I'll do my best friends at a mid ranking Russell group. There honestly doesn't seem to be too much correlation. We all work equally hard (extremely lol).

Me: A*A*A* awful school, 88% average
(best) Friend 1: A*A*A bad school, got/met oxford offer but turned it down, 83% average
Friend 2: AABB good school, 83% average
Friend 3: A*A*A* very good school, 78%
Friend 4: AAAB average school, 72%
Don't know the guy at the top but he has 93%, there's a few more above 90%

I know this is ain't a great study but interesting to see how me/friend1/friend3 have got worse and some have started doing way better.
claireestelle
  • Volunteer Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Got BEE at a level and had a 68% average.
100yoMAGApede
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
Got BEE at a level and had a 68% average.
Wooow get you . Don’t think I’ve met anyone whose improved that much.
claireestelle
  • Volunteer Section Leader
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by 100yoMAGApede)
Wooow get you . Don’t think I’ve met anyone whose improved that much.
I got diagnosed with dyslexia (had a dyspraxia diagnosis during school but no support). I also had had a couple of relatives dying/die during my a levels so i got myself in a much better head space at uni.
Themysticalegg
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
BCD - 72% so far
Masters - who knows.

I didn’t try at a-levels to be honest I’m a wiser man now.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by Themysticalegg; 5 days ago
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Got ABB (B in my course subject 1 mark off A).

Right now I’m averaging low 2:1 just about and I’m in First Year
Student-95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
It will depend on how you achieved those grades. If you got all A*s but you were working as hard as you possibly could then you're going to struggle to keep up as the content gets harder. If you got As or Bs but were coasting then you have lots of room to improve to keep up with the harder content - as long as you have the motivation to put more effort in.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Noodlzzz
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
A*A*A*a*a

:cool:
Blank13
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
About 75% average first year, 65% 2nd year and I got BCC at A-level at a high ranking Grammar School. I got good marks at GCSE but for A-levels I was depressed and could barely be bothered to go to school let alone revise so I just coasted the year and crammed at the end.

I coasted both these years as well, never picked up a text book except to find a quote or revise a couple of days before the exam (If the syllabus recommends 100 hours of study out of class I've spent maybe 10 hours on the essay and the exam combined). The main reason my mark went down this year is they teach actual uni level concepts and aren't hovering around AS/A-level material to bring everyone up to speed. I really wouldn't recommend just coasting it, the only reason I've gotten away with it is that I'm clever and my English Lit A-level was great prep for writing essays at Uni. Even if you are clever enough to coast by it's definitely worth engaging more so that you can get a First instead of hovering around a 2:1 and just wasting your time scrolling through reddit.
kkboyk
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Lots of factors come into play, including the reason as to why many do not do well in A-level usually lack of motivation to study, or poor studying techniques; which they then learn during uni. At uni, some people do not do well due to mental health and have also struggled a lot during their course. There are some who genuinely did not bother with uni and party instead.

All in all, at the end of your degree what truly matters is knowing what direction to take in terms of careers, and securing a job (which grades will hardly matter... unless you're applying for competitive industries like investment banking, corporate law where they filter applicants based on grades).
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Bs and Cs A-Level, dunno what my average was (and can't even access the online transcripts no more), but finished with a first class degree.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (217)
21.85%
The paper was reasonable (428)
43.1%
Not feeling great about that exam... (192)
19.34%
It was TERRIBLE (156)
15.71%

Watched Threads