The Student Room Group

Taking A level exams as private candidate

Hello

I am an international student who is looking to take the A-level exams (Maths, further maths, and history) next year so I can hopefully go to university in UK. I am going to be doing this as a private candidate at an exam centre.

If I have understood the information that I have read online correctly, I can only receive an A* in maths and further maths if I have done coursework in modules?

Does this mean an external candidate who has not taken A level modules cannot get an A*? How exactly does this process in receiving an A* work?

Thanks!
Original post by doglover56
Hello

I am an international student who is looking to take the A-level exams (Maths, further maths, and history) next year so I can hopefully go to university in UK. I am going to be doing this as a private candidate at an exam centre.

If I have understood the information that I have read online correctly, I can only receive an A* in maths and further maths if I have done coursework in modules?

Does this mean an external candidate who has not taken A level modules cannot get an A*? How exactly does this process in receiving an A* work?

Thanks!

Are you taking international exams? or exams in UK? There is no coursework required for Edexcel/Pearson International A Level maths or further maths. An A * is awarded in maths for an achievement of 480/600 standardised UMS marks from 4 exams that includes 180 from the C34 exam. For further maths it's 480/600 from 6 unit exams that includes 270 from the 3 best A2 units.
There is no coursework required for Maths A level from AQA, Edexcel or OCR in the UK. A levels in UK are no longer modular qualifications with UMS gained from unit exams. They are now linear qualifications with all exams taken in one set at the end of the course.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
i will be taking these exams in the UK! thank you this explains very much :smile:
Original post by gdunne42
Are you taking international exams? or exams in UK? There is no coursework required for Edexcel/Pearson International A Level maths or further maths. An A * is awarded in maths for an achievement of 480/600 standardised UMS marks from 4 exams that includes 180 from the C34 exam. For further maths it's 480/600 from 6 unit exams that includes 270 from the 3 best A2 units.
There is no coursework required for Maths A level from AQA, Edexcel or OCR in the UK. A levels in UK are no longer modular qualifications with UMS gained from unit exams. They are now linear qualifications with all exams taken in one set at the end of the course.

Quick Reply

Latest