Jeremy Kyle axed. Should Love Island be next? Watch

CoffeeAndPolitics
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
The extremely unfortunate death of a former participation of the Jeremy Kyle show that was meant to be aired led to ITV deciding to axe the programme. But what I don't understand is why they and other broadcasters aren't reviewing other reality TV shows like Love Island which has seen the deaths of two former participants of the show. Clearly they need to provide more mental health and psychological support for participants taking part in such reality TV shows.
Tempest II
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
That sounds like "Dog fighting would be ok as long as an official dogfight vet had a look over the animals before and after the fight"
People volunteer for shows. Dogs don't.

That said, I don't think the world will any worse off without either Jeremy Kyle or Love Island... Or a multitude of other reality TV programmes for that matter.
_nim1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Love island is just a really bad dating show I don’t think it should be axed. There’s ‘heartbreak’ and drama and lies and cheating but you get that in the real world too. It’s sad that two contestants died but for example Mike was on other shows so how can we say for sure he died because of love island. I agree with someone who said it’s the fame that causes the problem and not knowing how to deal with it. In that case all reality shows should be axed not just love island.
I get why Jeremy kyle was cancelled, people are just abused and humiliated right in front of the crowd I don’t get how it’s been on tv so long :/ I think the suicide just made people realise that maybe this isn’t ok.
StriderHort
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Tempest II)
People volunteer for shows. Dogs don't.

That said, I don't think the world will any worse off without either Jeremy Kyle or Love Island... Or a multitude of other reality TV programmes for that matter.
True, but people volunteer/get pushed into all sorts of really stupid s**t when they should know better. Do you think so many would volunteer if they weren't obvious community care cases or really knew how the show was going to go?
Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
True, but people volunteer/get pushed into all sorts of really stupid s**t when they should know better. Do you think so many would volunteer if they weren't obvious community care cases or really knew how the show was going to go?
The show has been on for 14 years. If you've applied to go on it you know damn well which way the show could end up going. There are many things people do when they should know better but they still do it. It's an element of human stupidy we all have and nothing can really be done about it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are your favourite crisps?

Kettle Chips (14)
13.59%
McCoys Salt and Vinegar (6)
5.83%
McCoys Flame Grilled Steak (5)
4.85%
Walkers Prawn Cockail (15)
14.56%
Monster Munch (9)
8.74%