The Student Room Group

Further Maths at A level

I'm currently in Year 11, just started my exams, and I'm still wrestling over the idea of doing FM as well as my current 3 A level selections. I chose Computer Science and Physics because I love the subjects, as well as Maths because I know that it will take me further.
My end goal is to go a very good university and study whichever one of these subjects I liked the most in my A levels, but I don't know if doing Further Maths is worth it.

On the upside, I'm more likely to get accepted into said universities and have an extra qualification, but I've heard that Further Maths can be very challenging and that 4 A levels generally aren't recommended.
Any advice or insight would be really appreciated, especially from people who are or who have studied 4 A levels.
unless you want to go to imperial, having the fourth a level would be a highly overestimated factor when it comes to getting to into uni

further maths would be very useful for any maths based course, which is all three of the a levels courses you've listed, should you decide to do one at university

you should definitely stick with three unless you're the hard-revision kind of person otherwise you'll be overworked and come out with little to show for it
Original post by danielmd
I'm currently in Year 11, just started my exams, and I'm still wrestling over the idea of doing FM as well as my current 3 A level selections. I chose Computer Science and Physics because I love the subjects, as well as Maths because I know that it will take me further.
My end goal is to go a very good university and study whichever one of these subjects I liked the most in my A levels, but I don't know if doing Further Maths is worth it.

On the upside, I'm more likely to get accepted into said universities and have an extra qualification, but I've heard that Further Maths can be very challenging and that 4 A levels generally aren't recommended.
Any advice or insight would be really appreciated, especially from people who are or who have studied 4 A levels.

If you think you’d like to study maths, physics or computer science at university then you ought to try take further maths. Most people would at least start out with this as a 4th A level and maybe choose to cut down to 3 later. Without it you will be limited in where you can apply and possibly less successful in gaining a good quality place to study.

Quick Reply

Latest