I've never scrubbed in for surgery? (third year medical student) Watch

MedStudentt
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So, I'm in my third year of medicine, it's coming to an end and I've never scrubbed into surgery.
Every time I've been in surgery, there's always been trainees so I've just never asked as it always felt like I was in the way.
How bad is it to finish 3rd year without having scrubbed in? What years did others scrub in by?
I'm not particularly interested in surgery but I'm very disappointed that I've never had the chance before...
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by MedStudentt)
So, I'm in my third year of medicine, it's coming to an end and I've never scrubbed into surgery.
Every time I've been in surgery, there's always been trainees so I've just never asked as it always felt like I was in the way.
How bad is it to finish 3rd year without having scrubbed in? What years did others scrub in by?
I'm not particularly interested in surgery but I'm very disappointed that I've never had the chance before...
I think I got to scrub in a handful of times during medical school. The vast majority of the time I was observing, unscrubbed, from whatever vantage point I could find.

Didn't scrub in at all during my FY1 surgical job.

Scrubbed in a lot as an O&G SHO in FY2.

Presumably you'll have other surgical placements during med school, so I'm sure there will be opportunities in the future. And if not, you'll almost certainly have to if you do a surgical SHO job.

I think it's probably worth doing a few times so you can get the experience, like everything else in medicine. Beyond that, you're not missing out on a great deal if you're not interested in a career in surgery.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think I did it in my 2nd term of 4th year (our first clinical year), but it was only a handful of times and was a varyingly useful experience. Often you're just watching but standing closer than before, or holding a retractor.

I did more on my O&G placement and as a volunteer on the student transplant rota, but not everywhere has those! I got through my entire final year senior surgery rotation without going to theatre, and only half of that time was because I had a broken arm...
MedStudentt
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So would you say this isn't really a disadvantage at the mo? Even IF I later did decide I was interested (very unlikely but still want to keep options open).
(Original post by Democracy)
I think I got to scrub in a handful of times during medical school. The vast majority of the time I was observing, unscrubbed, from whatever vantage point I could find.

Didn't scrub in at all during my FY1 surgical job.

Scrubbed in a lot as an O&G SHO in FY2.

Presumably you'll have other surgical placements during med school, so I'm sure there will be opportunities in the future. And if not, you'll almost certainly have to if you do a surgical SHO job.

I think it's probably worth doing a few times so you can get the experience, like everything else in medicine. Beyond that, you're not missing out on a great deal if you're not interested in a career in surgery.
Democracy
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So would you say this isn't really a disadvantage at the mo? Even IF I later did decide I was interested (very unlikely but still want to keep options open).
No it's not a disadvantage, there's still a long way to go.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Lol no.
belis
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's useful to know how. You don't want to get to FY1 stage, be asked in the middle of the night to scrub to help out and have to announce that you don't know what to do. When I was in medical school it was a skill we had to be signed off on.
Nottie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No. You're in 3rd year, you still have 2 more years to go and if you gonna do obs&gynae at some point you will inevitably scrub in.
I only went to see surgery once in my 3rd year and started to scrub by 4th year o&g rotation
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
  • University College London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (62)
21.31%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (102)
35.05%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (62)
21.31%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (28)
9.62%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (37)
12.71%

Watched Threads