Can I become a Doctor with a pharmacology degree Watch

rahul_330
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Can I become a Doctor with a pharmacology degree? I was wondering if this is possible due to the fact that i cannot study medicine without A-LEVEL chemistry, uni's like queen mary, manchester allow you to study pharmacolgy without chem( if you dont do it) . so is it possible for you to get into medicine while studying Pharmology. Im doing my ucas application next week and i so confused and nervous to choose a course in order to eventually become a doctor
Last edited by rahul_330; 4 days ago
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by rahul_330)
Can I become a Doctor with a pharmacology degree? I was wondering if this is possible due to the fact that i cannot study medicine without A-LEVEL chemistry, uni's like queen mary, manchester allow you to study pharmacolgy without chem( if you dont do it) . so is it possible for you to get into medicine while studying Pharmology. Im doing my ucas application next week and i so confused and nervous to choose a course in order to eventually become a doctor
Yes, if you go to medical school afterwards. You can use a pharmacology degree to apply for graduate entry medicine.

There are medical schools which will accept you without chemistry - what A levels are you doing?

Also...why are you doing your UCAS application in May?

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf
GANFYD
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by rahul_330)
Universities Not Requiring Chemistry A Level to study medicine:
ARU
Keele
Leeds
Manchester
Newcastle
Plymouth
Barts
Sheffield
Sunderland
UEA
artful_lounger
  • Universities Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Obviously, a pharmacology degree is not a medical degree. To become a (medical) doctor, you need a medical degree. As above, not all medical schools require A-level Chemistry. That aside, you can apply for graduate entry medicine (GEM) with any degree, although a biosciences degree (such as pharmacology) opens more options for you.

Bear in mind however many GEM courses require you to take A-level Chemistry before applying (e.g. during or after your first degree), or to have taken similar content in the course of your degree (e.g. through supporting chemistry modules). Also, you should be aware that GEM is considerably more competitive than standard entry medicine (although you can also apply to those courses as a graduate, you will be in direct competition with school leavers then, and the course is both longer and more expensive as there is less funding than for GEM in that case).

I would suggest it would be better to take some time to take stock of your options, and try and apply to standard entry medicine (and your 5th choice could be pharmacology) at universities that don't require A-level Chemistry. Depending on when you're planning to apply, this may entail taking a gap year - you can use this time to get the relevant work experience needed to apply to medicine (and also to see if medicine is for you anyway).
ltsmith
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by DrSszz)
Hey guys! I am a junior doctor who went to medical school in the UK. I have started a medical school application advice page on instagram. Please follow BlossoMD_ Would love to hear your thoughts and if you have any questions!
since when did british doctors put MD after their name like the muricans do?
DrSszz
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Thanks for your feedback! Its not really after the name, but part of the name and is a play on the ward Blossomed
(Original post by ltsmith)
since when did british doctors put MD after their name like the muricans do?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Mini Open Evening - Holloway Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 May '19
  • Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 22 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (10)
25%
The paper was reasonable (16)
40%
Not feeling great about that exam... (6)
15%
It was TERRIBLE (8)
20%

Watched Threads