should I take a break from lifiting? Watch

SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Ive been losing weight since November and I’m right at the last hurdle. Just 3 more weeks. But now for every kg I lose I get weaker and it’s killing my motivation.

I weigh 68kg and I’m 5’8. I’m still 17-20% despite being so damn light. I feel like I’m still too fat to bulk because if I bulk it’s about 50% fat gain. And I’m not a completely new beginner so recomp won’t work

Feeling lost and my motivation is ****ed. Progressing on the lifts was keeping me sane... maybe I should just deload again
Last edited by SuperHuman98; 4 weeks ago
ltsmith
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
you're gonna get weaker as you lose weight. that's inevitable but it doesn't mean you have to take a break from the gym.

focus more on other things at the gym; e.g. endurance and cardio
sknudson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
When was your last refeed? Contrary to popular belief, you shouldn't lose a significant amount of strength on a cut. Your calories are too low if it's going way down. I've held virtually all my lifts with very minor strength gains going from 303 to 220 Lbs.
SuperHuman98
Rep:
?
(Original post by sknudson)
When was your last refeed? Contrary to popular belief, you shouldn't lose a significant amount of strength on a cut. Your calories are too low if it's going way down. I've held virtually all my lifts with very minor strength gains going from 303 to 220 Lbs.
I was in a plateau for for 5-6 weeks. Until last week when I finally started losing weight again.

During my plateau period I was able to progress on my programme so now I tried to progress again and I was hopeless.

I’m struggling to count my calories at home because of the way my mum cooks. At uni it’s way easier, and I’m going back this Saturday. I’m also having to fast Ramadan style at home. So I don’t know if the one meal before gym is enough to actually help.

So yeah I failed deadlift yesterday and bench press today horribly because I’m trying to follow the progression of my programme.

Right now I’m aiming for 1600-1700 calories because of the 12kg I’ve lost so far it’s been through more aggressive caloric deficit. I’m not confident aiming for 1900 because I just end up miscounting and ending up st maintaince
Last edited by SuperHuman98; 4 weeks ago
sknudson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
It's obviously not enough if your lifts are going down significantly. Make adjustments elsewhere to not make the deficit any bigger than it is. You could probably consider dropping cardio for the rest of Ramadan to have a bit extra for lifts. You could also go up to maintenance for awhile and let the strength restore itself before going back into cut.

* Edit: 1700 is entirely too low to lift with any amount of strength. I'm running a 2500 kcal cut at the minute at 222 lbs with 1.5-2 lbs/week as target.
Last edited by sknudson; 4 weeks ago
SuperHuman98
Rep:
?
(Original post by sknudson)
It's obviously not enough if your lifts are going down significantly. Make adjustments elsewhere to not make the deficit any bigger than it is. You could probably consider dropping cardio for the rest of Ramadan to have a bit extra for lifts. You could also go up to maintenance for awhile and let the strength restore itself before going back into cut.
Tbh today was just a bad workout. I think I’m gonna focus on my mental game and probably be best to slow down progression instead.

I’ve just been feeling a bit down and I let it get the best of me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (340)
15.73%
The paper was reasonable (1173)
54.28%
Not feeling great about that exam... (467)
21.61%
It was TERRIBLE (181)
8.38%

Watched Threads