Kingsmedley
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello everyone, I recently received a conditional offer from Cambridge, and one of the conditions is that I complete or intermit from my current Master course (with no specific grade, as I already hold a Bachelor's degree).

I can complete my current course in early July or mid-September (depending on when I choose to submit my thesis) and I would prefer submitting my thesis in September.

I know that the deadline for meeting all the conditions is July 31, but does anyone if it possible to send Cambridge another document to meet the offer, in the event that the course finishes after the July 31 deadline? Or is it impossible to confirm the offer?

Given that I have not been set a specific grade to achieve, but am simply required to complete my current Master course, I am wondering how much of an issue it is for them. Has anyone been in this situation before?

Many thanks!
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Kingsmedley)
Hello everyone, I recently received a conditional offer from Cambridge, and one of the conditions is that I complete or intermit from my current Master course (with no specific grade, as I already hold a Bachelor's degree).

I can complete my current course in early July or mid-September (depending on when I choose to submit my thesis) and I would prefer submitting my thesis in September.

I know that the deadline for meeting all the conditions is July 31, but does anyone if it possible to send Cambridge another document to meet the offer, in the event that the course finishes after the July 31 deadline? Or is it impossible to confirm the offer?

Given that I have not been set a specific grade to achieve, but am simply required to complete my current Master course, I am wondering how much of an issue it is for them. Has anyone been in this situation before?

Many thanks!
You will have to ask the GAO and your department. From their point of view, having you confirmed by September means that they lose the possibility of making a different decision over other applications. My feeling is that as you do have the option to submit in time, then they will want the July deadline to be met (you won't have your grade, but if complete or intermit are the options, they clearly don't need the grade). Speak to them, but be ready for a July answer.
EHamilton
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you want to take up your Cambridge place then you need to meet the offer conditions set of complete or intermit your current degree before you start. Complete means a final mark issued, which may be weeks after submission. I strongly encourage you to talk to your current university and find out when this will happen with a September submission. Then as threeportdrift suggests talk to GAO and see what is possible.
username2940192
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What drives this is that Cambridge does not want under any circumstances to end up with a student simultaneously registered as a student elsewhere as this will cause the universe to be sucked into a black hole ^H^H^H^H^H potentially mean that work is being used towards two degrees at once. They will want to see proof of intermission or completion by the July 31 deadline , if you don't do this your offer simply won't be confirmed. This applies even if Cambridge have not made admission dependent on the outcome of the current Master's course (not unusual).This is a recurring problem, there are rumours of occasional flexibility as to when this condition is met (albeit a lot less than there once was sadly) but you would need someone on the inside pushing on your behalf, if they are willing (which they may not be). If you are starting a PhD this would be your potential supervisor, for a taught masters you would want to get the course director onside, they are quite likely to have met the issue before and know what buttons to press with the administration. As has been noted, you may well not get anywhere.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (219)
43.71%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (56)
11.18%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (38)
7.58%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.16%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.98%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.39%

Watched Threads