Do you ever just look up at the stars and think... Watch

JoshDarnIt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
...how insignificant we are?

Like, we're tiny little ants on a ball of rock hurtling through space. We fight with our neighbours, we create wars over beliefs, we create division through politics...it's crazy how f*cked up we are!

If we can just take a step back and realise that we're really nothing, and start connecting back with nature, we can connect to the divine within ourselves. We can tap into that ever expanding river of love and wisdom.

We can stop fighting over silly beliefs and start living in unity with each other. Start connecting to each other and the earth on a higher level. We can realise we are all one. We are all God.
Fear-of-failure
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Preach . IKR people get all stressed about exams etc but when you think about it what really matters is living our lives so we can join God in heaven and fighting wars is not the way to do that. We should all live in peace and be kind to our neighbours. We are really nothing is this huge universe.
(Original post by JoshDarnIt)

Like, we're tiny little ants on a ball of rock hurtling through space. We fight with our neighbours, we create wars over beliefs, we create division through politics...it's crazy how f*cked up we are!

If we can just take a step back and realise that we're really nothing, and start connecting back with nature, we can connect to the divine within ourselves. We can tap into that ever expanding river of love and wisdom.

We can stop fighting over silly beliefs and start living in unity with each other. Start connecting to each other and the earth on a higher level. We can realise we are all one. We are all God.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Nope!
Rhodesian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Fear-of-failure)
Preach . IKR people get all stressed about exams etc but when you think about it what really matters is living our lives so we can join God in heaven and fighting wars is not the way to do that. We should all live in peace and be kind to our neighbours. We are really nothing is this huge universe.
If we are nothing in this universe are actions don’t matter.
Therefore I can be as evil and cruel as I want.

How does your existential crisis lead to you believing everyone should leave in peace and unity.
In fact since our lives mean nothing we should do whatever we want and live a hedonistic life fulfilling our pleasure while ignoring others suffering.

Just playing devils advocate here.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Insignificant? No way. It's the other way round. This world just doesn't deserve me.
Last edited by Ciel.; 1 week ago
JoshDarnIt
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rhodesian)
If we are nothing in this universe are actions don’t matter.
Therefore I can be as evil and cruel as I want.

How does your existential crisis lead to you believing everyone should leave in peace and unity.
In fact since our lives mean nothing we should do whatever we want and live a hedonistic life fulfilling our pleasure while ignoring others suffering.

Just playing devils advocate here.
You don't understand what I mean by saying ''we are nothing'' which is understandable if you haven't been following the spiritual path for a while or at all.

I would go so far as to say we are nothing yet we are everything. The Buddha realised this. Jesus realised this. It really is quite liberating to realise that these flesh puppets we call bodies are just illusory and that the soul withing them are eternal.
JoshDarnIt
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ciel.)
Significant? No way. It's the other way round. This world just doesn't deserve me.
You too good for this world :yep:
Ciel.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You too good for this world :yep:
* Insignificant
I'm already half asleep and can't type.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You don't understand what I mean by saying ''we are nothing'' which is understandable if you haven't been following the spiritual path for a while or at all.

I would go so far as to say we are nothing yet we are everything. The Buddha realised this. Jesus realised this. It really is quite liberating to realise that these flesh puppets we call bodies are just illusory and that the soul withing them are eternal.
The Buddha specifically rejected the idea of souls and eternity, mate.
Rhodesian
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

I thought this was going to be a thoughtful philosophical debate.

But you’re just stating vague and frankly meaning phrases like ‘we are nothing yet we are everything’.

Although I do see a soul, mind and body argument in what you say. From what I can tell you are a dualist as most religious people are.
I’m not going to say I don’t believe in a soul since I don’t really know and am open to the idea.
But I certainly don’t believe in heaven and hell. And if they were real I wouldn’t even want to go to heaven.
JoshDarnIt
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
The Buddha specifically rejected the idea of souls and eternity, mate.
My mistake then, I'll have to re-educate myself on the matter
JoshDarnIt
Rep:
?

But you’re just stating vague and frankly meaning phrases like ‘we are nothing yet we are everything’.

Although I do see a soul, mind and body argument in what you say. From what I can tell you are a dualist as most religious people are.
I’m not going to say I don’t believe in a soul since I don’t really know and am open to the idea.
But I certainly don’t believe in heaven and hell. And if they were real I wouldn’t even want to go to heaven.
Nah, just late night thoughts man.

Meaningless to you maybe, but not to myself and any others who may vibe with what I was saying.

Oh, and I'm not religious. I don't agree with organised religion. Heaven and hell to me are states of mind. I also believe in non-duality.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Not necessarily a dualist position, there is an argument therein for a monist interpretation of the same stripe as an Advaitin, thus the soul is a microcosm of the hyper-real 'cosmic' soul (brahman) from which it is ultimately non-different.
My mistake then, I'll have to re-educate myself on the matter
Much of the Canon is dedicated to getting away from ideas of eternalism as a significant cause of dissatisfaction. Belief in a permanent enduring, immutable self is the single nexus of all dissatisfaction for the Buddha, and so we just shouldn't concern ourselves with it. Nirvana according to the Canon is extinction, like genuine extinction (it means 'snuffing out', 'blowing out' 'extinguished'). Other traditions have since modified that, but as far as we can tell (the Canon was written long after the bloke died), liberation from rebirth meant a hard, full, permanent exit in a similar vein to how most atheists conceive of death: nothing at all.
Last edited by gjd800; 1 week ago
JoshDarnIt
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
Not necessarily a dualist position, there is an argument therein for a monist interpretation of the same stripe as an Advaitin, thus the soul is a microcosm of the hyper-real 'cosmic' soul (brahman) from which it is ultimately non-different.

Much of the Canon is dedicated to getting away from ideas of eternalism as a significant cause of dissatisfaction. Belief in a permanent enduring, immutable self is the single nexus of all dissatisfaction for the Buddha, and so we just shouldn't concern ourselves with it. Nirvana according to the canon is extinction, like genuine extinction. Other traditions have since modified that, but as far as we can tell (the Canon was written long after the bloke died), liberation from rebirth meant a hard, full, permanent exit in a similar vein to how most atheists conceive of death: nothing at all.
Cheers bud
MidgetFever
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I get what you mean but sometimes it just makes me realise how selfish and petty people are.

This world is beautiful and there's many wonders for us to explore, yet... People are more concerned with whether McDonald's straws are plastic or not, as a compromise to saving this wonder.
It sucks, we are insignificant but a large amount of people feel so entitled.
Last edited by MidgetFever; 1 week ago
JoshDarnIt
Rep:
?
(Original post by MidgetFever)
I get what you mean but sometimes it just makes me realise how selfish and petty people are.

This world is beautiful and there's many wonders for us to explore, yet... People are more concerned with whether McDonald's straws are plastic or not, as a compromise to saving this wonder.
It sucks.
I know how you feel unfortunately :/
MidgetFever
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I know how you feel unfortunately :/
Yeah! It's a shame since there seems to be no convincing some people.
So I suppose it's best just to enjoy these things whilst we still can.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
People will always pip for convenience over (what they see as) a distant potential problem. Hard to get around that.
JoshDarnIt
Rep:
?
(Original post by MidgetFever)
Yeah! It's a shame since there seems to be no convincing some people.
So I suppose it's best just to enjoy these things whilst we still can.
You can tell a person the information to help them grow, but it's up to them whether they wanna listen and start implementing it into their life. At the end of the day you did your part informing them, the rest is up to them.
lorainsj
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You can tell a person the information to help them grow, but it's up to them whether they wanna listen and start implementing it into their life. At the end of the day you did your part informing them, the rest is up to them.
Telling somebody something doesn’t generally tend to be the most effective method. People, as a whole, seem to operate better when they feel they’ve found something out themselves; they ‘own’ their discovery, if you like. Maybe try leading them to the answer you want them to find rather than feeding them it. With that being said, some people just won’t subscribe to the same narrative as you and that’s a right you have to respect I’m afraid.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (228)
22.69%
The paper was reasonable (453)
45.07%
Not feeling great about that exam... (181)
18.01%
It was TERRIBLE (143)
14.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise