The Student Room Group

I think I failed my AS maths today

I've always been an A*/A student, and I'm pretty sure that I've failed unit 1 maths, or got a C at best.
I still have unit 2 left, which isn't worth as much, but I still feel like I have to reconsider all of my life choices, like what uni I wanna go to and what job I want.
If I did REALLY well in unit 2, and just as well in unit 3 and 4, is it possible for me to get an A* overall?
Original post by frolikeye
I've always been an A*/A student, and I'm pretty sure that I've failed unit 1 maths, or got a C at best.
I still have unit 2 left, which isn't worth as much, but I still feel like I have to reconsider all of my life choices, like what uni I wanna go to and what job I want.
If I did REALLY well in unit 2, and just as well in unit 3 and 4, is it possible for me to get an A* overall?

So firstly, AS and A level are two different qualifications so even if you don't do well now it's not the end of the world as it doesn't count towards your actual A Level.

Second of all focus on your other units instead of thinking about how badly this one just went.

I had a bad module when I did my further maths A level, like it was by far one of the worst grades I've ever gotten in a maths module and I just had a bad day. But in the end I got an A* in both maths and further maths where I got 100 ums in nearly all modules. So you can still ace the other two units, don't worry about this one!
Reply 2
[forgot to quote]
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymouspsych
So firstly, AS and A level are two different qualifications so even if you don't do well now it's not the end of the world as it doesn't count towards your actual A Level.

Second of all focus on your other units instead of thinking about how badly this one just went.

I had a bad module when I did my further maths A level, like it was by far one of the worst grades I've ever gotten in a maths module and I just had a bad day. But in the end I got an A* in both maths and further maths where I got 100 ums in nearly all modules. So you can still ace the other two units, don't worry about this one!

Thanks for the advice. Are you sure they're completely different? specifications always say that AS is 40% of the total grade, and that A2 is 60%
Thanks for the advice. Are you sure they're completely different? specifications always say that AS is 40% of the total grade, and that A2 is 60%

What exam board are you doing, I am assuming you are doing the new specification?
Reply 5
What exam board are you doing, I am assuming you are doing the new specification?

WJEC new spec
I know it's easy to think the worst but try not to. You could do better than you expected! Also, reconsidering your whole life path based on a stupid exam is not worthwhile. Ok you can't change what happened today but no point in worrying until you have to. Good luck and calm a bit :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by earlybird88
I know it's easy to think the worst but try not to. You could do better than you expected! Also, reconsidering your whole life path based on a stupid exam is not worthwhile. Ok you can't change what happened today but no point in worrying until you have to. Good luck and calm a bit :smile:

Thanks. I'll try to focus less on this exam. It all came down to playing my PC instead of revising. I guess all I can do is try my best for unit 2, which is next week
(edited 4 years ago)
Thanks. I'll try to focus less on this exam. It all came down to playing my PC instead of revising. I guess all I can do is try my best for unit 2, which is next week

Yep positive vibes you got this. You know what you need to do. I'd advise no PC time until the next exam is over so you can completely apply yourself to boost the overall grade and rescue the situation! :dance:
Ok I just checked and you are correct. It is split 40/60 between AS and A2. I think pretty much for all other exam boards AS doesn't contribute to the A Level grade. Sorry for the confusion
WJEC new spec
Reply 10
Ok I just checked and you are correct. It is split 40/60 between AS and A2. I think pretty much for all other exam boards AS doesn't contribute to the A Level grade. Sorry for the confusion

No worries. Unlucky for me I guess.
it would have been nice if this was just a practice run
Reply 11
Why not just resit the exam? WJEC AS exams are a few weeks before A2 exams start so it won't be too much added on stress. Just work harder next year.
Reply 12
Original post by Cemi
Why not just resit the exam? WJEC AS exams are a few weeks before A2 exams start so it won't be too much added on stress. Just work harder next year.

That's not a bad idea.
I've been telling myself to work harder for 3 years running now, don't see myself changing next year

Quick Reply

Latest