The Student Room Group

Insurance

Scroll to see replies

@Dentyboi
Original post by xDron3
If you're not the main driver then you won't gain any NCB.

This is totally incorrect.

There are plenty of companies which allow named driver to build up a no-claims discount, or NDNCD. Last time I looked, there were loads of insurance companies offering them, including Direct Line, Aviva, Churchill, Admiral, Diamond, Sainsburys...
Reply 21
Funny guy, so you’re telling me if you’re a named driver for a year, you’ll appear up in the insurance databases with a year NCB? It might be a bonus within the same insurer if you transfer afterbut definitely not one across the scope
Original post by Reality Check
@Dentyboi

This is totally incorrect.

There are plenty of companies which allow named driver to build up a no-claims discount, or NDNCD. Last time I looked, there were loads of insurance companies offering them, including Direct Line, Aviva, Churchill, Admiral, Diamond, Sainsburys...
Original post by xDron3
Funny guy, so you’re telling me if you’re a named driver for a year, you’ll appear up in the insurance databases with a year NCB? It might be a bonus within the same insurer if you transfer afterbut definitely not one across the scope

And what's that got to do with your incorrect statement that 'if you're not the main driver you won't gain any NCB'?

Obviously it wouldn't appear in AskMID because he isn't the policyholder. But that doesn't mean he can't accumulate a NCB if the main policyholder has a policy which allows that.

Try to be less rude with the 'funny guy' stuff - it's not my fault you're giving incorrect advice. I'm merely correcting it for the sake of the OP.

@IWMTom
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Reality Check
And what's that got to do with your incorrect statement that 'if you're not the main driver you won't gain any NCB'?

Obviously it wouldn't appear in AskMID because he isn't the policyholder. But that doesn't mean he can't accumulate a NCB if the main policyholder has a policy which allows that.

Try to be less rude with the 'funny guy' stuff - it's not my fault you're giving incorrect advice. I'm merely correcting it for the sake of the OP.

@IWMTom

@xDron3 means well, but yes you're right, named driver NCB can often be accepted - it's not completely accepted across the board, but for the most part yeah.

There isn't actually a database of NCB which is why some insurers will ask for your certificate of NCB when you transfer to them.
Reply 24
Fair enough, I thought it was only for in-house offers if you’re staying with the same company but I must be wrong.

I apologise for the snarky comments, I’ll stand down @Reality Check
Original post by IWMTom
@xDron3 means well, but yes you're right, named driver NCB can often be accepted - it's not completely accepted across the board, but for the most part yeah.

There isn't actually a database of NCB which is why some insurers will ask for your certificate of NCB when you transfer to them.
Original post by xDron3
Fair enough, I thought it was only for in-house offers if you’re staying with the same company but I must be wrong.

I apologise for the snarky comments, I’ll stand down @Reality Check

Thank you. No hard feelings here :smile:
Reply 26
Declaring someone as a main driver when they are the main driver is not a false declaration, my brother was insured as an additional driver when he first passed when really he was the main driver he never crashed and he never had any trouble.
Original post by RogerOxon
What you believe should be the case does not change reality. You're coming across as very self-entitled.

Declaring that a parent is the main driver, when they aren't, is a false declaration and voids your insurance, whether you like it or not. Anyone you hit or injure could be left out of pocket, or worse. It is irresponsible, illegal and plain nasty. Please don't do it.
Original post by Dentyboi
Declaring someone as a main driver when they are the main driver is not a false declaration, my brother was insured as an additional driver when he first passed when really he was the main driver he never crashed and he never had any trouble.

Read your original post again. No issue if it's true.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Dentyboi

You've changed your story, and therefore lost all credibility.
Original post by doodle_333
I just got a fiesta 1.4 for my 1st car and am paying 1k for insurance (no black box). That was already a huge difference to something like an Astra so I can't imagine you don't make a saving getting a small car... you can go lcheaper than a 1.4 fiesta too as there are certainly cheaper things about.

Which insurance company are you with?
Goskippy it's one of the eldon group, I am 27 though
Original post by BristowJamie
Which insurance company are you with?

Quick Reply

Latest