(Think) I met a schizophrenic man at work and not sure what to do Watch

elondon19
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi all,
I work for a counselling company just as a receptionist and yesterday as I was locking up, one of our admin team came in just before she left and told me to make a registration form for this guy. She could see that he was quite erratic and very evidently had some mental health problems and she left me on my own to make a form with him, while she went home, which I wasn’t overly happy with. There was a counsellor supervisor dealing with a client in a seperate room down the hall so I wasn’t completely on my own however given that I’ve only been working there for a couple of months! I’ve done psychology A level and I’m starting a degree in September so I’m massively interested in the subject and I recognised the symptoms of schizophrenia but I’m still not 100% sure. I spoke to him for around an hour and he was extremely erratic and rambled about random topics and was extremely paranoid. He began telling me stories about how the police kept arresting him and they him he can’t be in places and how they kicked him onto the street and made him homeless. Then he started talking about democracy and how the Romans persecuted the Christians and how he doesn’t vote because he’s against the whole system. He said that he found a Mexican man on a bean bag in his girlfriends house and then started creasing with laughter (this was all ENTIRELY without relevance). He said he had psychiatrists but they’re evil and run by the big corporations and they tell him that they don’t have time for him and that he drinks too much alcohol? He also doesn’t agree with medication (not good if he’s schizophrenic). When I asked him his name for the form, he told me that he doesn’t really have a name because he doesn’t agree with them. And he got really worried when I asked him his address in case we’ll send it to the police or the CEO. He also told me he thinks he’s met my dad (completely irrelevant and he hasn’t) and kept saying that I was intuitive and a good listener like his ex girlfriend. Speaking of girlfriends, once his ex gf started screaming one day apparently and the police were called, they took her away and he never saw her again. Oh and he feels strong connections with other Leo star signs.
I would be lying if I said I didn’t feel uncomfortable and a bit scared with the whole situation. He was in general a nice guy and in between the ramblings, we could have very normal conversations about music and other things, before he’d start talking about the police dragging him out of rooms for no reason. I also felt very sorry for him since he was very mentally ill and also maybe quite selfishly, fascinated in a way? I don’t want to stereotype schizophrenics at all as being dangerous as I didn’t feel threatened by him, however I am slightly concerned that, as I told him we’d call him to get in touch about appointments (mostly to try and get him to leave) that if we don’t get in touch with him again, he’ll come back.
Sorry for the long post, what do you all think?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by elondon19)
Hi all,
I work for a counselling company just as a receptionist and yesterday as I was locking up, one of our admin team came in just before she left and told me to make a registration form for this guy. She could see that he was quite erratic and very evidently had some mental health problems and she left me on my own to make a form with him, while she went home, which I wasn’t overly happy with. There was a counsellor supervisor dealing with a client in a seperate room down the hall so I wasn’t completely on my own however given that I’ve only been working there for a couple of months! I’ve done psychology A level and I’m starting a degree in September so I’m massively interested in the subject and I recognised the symptoms of schizophrenia but I’m still not 100% sure. I spoke to him for around an hour and he was extremely erratic and rambled about random topics and was extremely paranoid. He began telling me stories about how the police kept arresting him and they him he can’t be in places and how they kicked him onto the street and made him homeless. Then he started talking about democracy and how the Romans persecuted the Christians and how he doesn’t vote because he’s against the whole system. He said that he found a Mexican man on a bean bag in his girlfriends house and then started creasing with laughter (this was all ENTIRELY without relevance). He said he had psychiatrists but they’re evil and run by the big corporations and they tell him that they don’t have time for him and that he drinks too much alcohol? He also doesn’t agree with medication (not good if he’s schizophrenic). When I asked him his name for the form, he told me that he doesn’t really have a name because he doesn’t agree with them. And he got really worried when I asked him his address in case we’ll send it to the police or the CEO. He also told me he thinks he’s met my dad (completely irrelevant and he hasn’t) and kept saying that I was intuitive and a good listener like his ex girlfriend. Speaking of girlfriends, once his ex gf started screaming one day apparently and the police were called, they took her away and he never saw her again. Oh and he feels strong connections with other Leo star signs.
I would be lying if I said I didn’t feel uncomfortable and a bit scared with the whole situation. He was in general a nice guy and in between the ramblings, we could have very normal conversations about music and other things, before he’d start talking about the police dragging him out of rooms for no reason. I also felt very sorry for him since he was very mentally ill and also maybe quite selfishly, fascinated in a way? I don’t want to stereotype schizophrenics at all as being dangerous as I didn’t feel threatened by him, however I am slightly concerned that, as I told him we’d call him to get in touch about appointments (mostly to try and get him to leave) that if we don’t get in touch with him again, he’ll come back.
You need to speak to somebody more senior than you at work about what to do in this situation.
ellie7868
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i would definitely speak to someone higher up in your job about what to do. it sounds like he was very confused (and yes, perhaps schizophrenic) but you shouldn't have been left unattended to 'help' him especially considering you weren't sure yourself what was going on x x
(Original post by elondon19)
Hi all,
giella
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You spoke to the man for an hour and no other work came up? No other members of staff came by? There are quite a few people not doing their jobs right if that's the case.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (213)
22.78%
The paper was reasonable (421)
45.03%
Not feeling great about that exam... (174)
18.61%
It was TERRIBLE (127)
13.58%

Watched Threads