Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
The mark scheme for a question on autosomal linkage says:
1. GENES/ALLELES, are linked ;
2. on same chromosome ;
3. linked ALLELES inherited together ;

I'm confused on which term, genes or alleles, to use? And why is it ok to say genes for the first marking point but not the third?
Jpw1097
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Sophie.cerys)
The mark scheme for a question on autosomal linkage says:
1. GENES/ALLELES, are linked ;
2. on same chromosome ;
3. linked ALLELES inherited together ;

I'm confused on which term, genes or alleles, to use? And why is it ok to say genes for the first marking point but not the third?
As you’re probably aware, alleles are different versions of the same gene. Therefore it’s probably more correct to use alleles in this instance.
CarolinaVM
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi!

In phrase 1, what they mean is that gene A and gene B are close (from a genetic distance perspective), so gene is correct. This obviously means that the alleles for gene A and gene B that are in a specific homologous chromosome are close (lets call them alleles A1 and B1, present in homologous 1), so alleles is correct too.

In sentence 3, what they mean is that, because they're unlikely to be separated by crossing over (the break would have to be between genes A and B - rare as they are close), then the alleles from each homologous chromosome will be inherited together - A1 will go with B1, while A2 will go with B2. "Genes" would be wrong in this context.

Is this explanation clear? If not I can try a different way.

(Original post by Sophie.cerys)
Last edited by CarolinaVM; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (111)
13.81%
I'm not sure (36)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (243)
30.22%
I have already dropped out (20)
2.49%
I'm not a current university student (394)
49%

Watched Threads