hypothesis testing - find critical value

Watch
username2871748
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
A hotel owner in Cardiff is interested in what factors hotel guests think are important when staying at a hotel. From a hotel booking website he collects the ratings for ‘Cleanliness’,‘Location’, ‘Comfort’ and ‘Value for money’ for a random sample of 17 Cardiff hotels.(Each rating is the average of all scores awarded by guests who have contributed reviews using a scale from 1 to 10, where 10 is 'Excellent'.)The scatter graph showsthe relationship between ‘Value for money’ and ‘Cleanliness’for the sample of Cardiff hotels.

-shows a scatter graph with positive correlation-

The product moment correlation coefficient for ‘Value for money’ and ‘Cleanliness’ for the sample of 17 Cardiff hotels is 0.895. Stating your hypotheses clearly, test, at the 5% level of significance, whether this correlation is significant. State your conclusion in context.

I understand the process of getting the answer, it's just that I don't know how to get the critical value. It is 0.4821 but how is that the value?
Last edited by username2871748; 2 years ago
ghostwalker
Badges: 17
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by kurro)
A hotel owner in Cardiff is interested in what factors hotel guests think are important when staying at a hotel. From a hotel booking website he collects the ratings for ‘Cleanliness’,‘Location’, ‘Comfort’ and ‘Value for money’ for a random sample of 17 Cardiff hotels.(Each rating is the average of all scores awarded by guests who have contributed reviews using a scale from 1 to 10, where 10 is 'Excellent'.)The scatter graph showsthe relationship between ‘Value for money’ and ‘Cleanliness’for the sample of Cardiff hotels.

-shows a scatter graph with positive correlation-

The product moment correlation coefficient for ‘Value for money’ and ‘Cleanliness’ for the sample of 17 Cardiff hotels is 0.895. Stating your hypotheses clearly, test, at the 5% level of significance, whether this correlation is significant. State your conclusion in context.

I understand the process of getting the answer, it's just that I don't know how to get the critical value. It is 0.4821 but how is that the value?
Looked up in tables / formula book.

17 observations, 5%, two-tailed.

Damn! TSR strikes again - it's reduced the size of the image!

Name:  Untitled3.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  18.1 KB
username2871748
Rep:
(Original post by ghostwalker)

Ahh I'm so stupid, i totally forgot about that table.
Thanks so much! 😁
username2871748
Rep:

This is an off-topic question but why can I not see your reps?
ghostwalker
Badges: 17
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by kurro)
This is an off-topic question but why can I not see your reps?
'Cause I choose not to display them. It's an option in the profile.
username2871748
Rep:
'Cause I choose not to display them. It's an option in the profile.
oh I see, thanks for the info
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (35)
7.38%
October 2021 (214)
45.15%
November 2021 (53)
11.18%
December 2021 (62)
13.08%
January 2021 (54)
11.39%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (41)
8.65%